What's up with the 'Piano' gloss????

Forgive me if I'm just totally ignorant as to the inner workings of style. But why in the world has this super high gloss finish come to symbolize higher quality? I'm a wood worker, furniture builder, and a man who enjoys the joys of higher fidelity and I can't for the life of me imagine why anyone would want some crazy, super-shiny, impossible to keep finish in their listening rooms, much less their home. Am I alone? Please say it ain't so. That is all.
hhdinc
My Wilson Benesch Actll's are beautiful and great WAF with the Carbon Fibre sides, Cherrywood tops and fronts.

However, I love 'Piano' Black and will be tops on my list when I get hankering to change speakers.The PITA won't be an issue.
Sorry, I too have them and love the finish, and it has a very high WAF. (Especially since she knows to never to touch, (for cleaning purposes) any of my equipment. That is just one less thing for her to dust or clean!!)

I imagine that Hhdinc is feeling a bit like Burgess Meredeth in that old Twilight Zone episode. :-)
As a woodworker you must realize the surface must be PERFECT with a gloss finish. Any waves or ripples will be accentuated by the shiny finish. Just look at restored cars. You won't see many that have mirror smooth finish.
Easier to cover up defects with veneer or pebble texture paint finish.
Kurt_ tank....Thanks for reminding me of Grandpa Gustafson in Grumpy Old Men. Burgess Meredith was great in that role.
I'm putting a piano black finish on a wood compenent case right now (I have primer dust on myself as I type). Cde is absolutely right. I'm not even spraying color yet. I've been sanding and priming for days. The smoother you get the finish the more "large scale" ripples, waves, or curves you are able to see. After I get the primer smooth and straight I'm hoping the color will be no problem!