3 way vs. 2 way

I currently have Mirage M5si bi polar speakers, I believe these have two tweeters and two 6inch drivers. For my room size I want to go to a conventional speaker. I would also like to give a high end store in my area the business as the owner is a friend. He carries Totem and B&W. I notice may of the Totems have only a tweeter and a driver. Can I get as good sound out of smoething like that as compared to a speaker with 3 or 4 in the cabinet?
zar
I think that absent the lowest octave, my Merlin VSM-MXe provide the coherency of two-ways, with the bass extension, dynamics, and loudness (105db peaks) of most three-ways, down 3db at 33Hz. Of course this is done with bass EQ (BAM), but from 40 Hz up this is my favourite speaker, and the bass is satisfying for 95% of the music I would ever listen to. A different approach to dealing with the tradeoff and compromises required when choosing to go 2-way or 3-way.
In theory, there is no way that 2 drivers can cover a frequency range of 20Hz to 25000Hz as well as three drivers can. This of course assumes that everything else is equal such as, driver quality, proper crossover design, prober box design, etc.

If you build your own speakers, three ways also give you much more flexability to balance your sound to suit your particular taste. For example, I have adjustable L-pads on my mids and tweets so that I can bring the mids or highs up or down to achieve the sound that I desire. My woofs cover 20-500 Hz, my mids cover 500-5000Hz, and my tweets cover 5000-25000Hz

HG
Soda14a6v, I agree with you that not only in theory, but in practice, you can't have 20Hz response from from a good sounding two-way. But I think we start to accept serious compromises and complexities and power requirements when we seek 20Hz response. I think for most applications, and most rooms, good response down to 40Hz or so provides the best set of compromises (and possible with 2-ways), especially when value is taken into consideration - in most cases the low,low bass (16-30Hz) comes at a serious sonic cost to the rest of the spectrum IMHO, and is not suitable for most domestic rooms.