Need help with my office system

I work out of a 13'x11' home office quite a bit during the day and have an office listening system. Its a budget tube system (Jolida 302b and Totem Arro's fed buy lossless itunes through a Presonus Firebox as a Dac).

I like speakers when I am sitting at work but since I sit at a desk I am probably wasting my systems abilities.

Below is a photo of my workspace. Does anyone have any reccomendations on speaker placement/tricks? Should I just get a small pair of powered monitors and set them up on the 3rd shelves (like genelec 8020a's or 8030a's)?

http://www.shawnparslow.com/Public/office.jpg
shawnparslow
My main problem is that I also want to be able to sit back on the couch not pictured on the opposite wall and sit and listen.

I tried elevating the speakers, it cleared up a bit but didnt change much.

I tried the opposite wall and it did get a nice driver integration between the two speakers and full sound with bass impact. It sounded good during instrumental but as soon as a voice came in it was too akward and I had to punt it.

I tried moving the speakers out a little wider to the corners of the room pointing in 45 degrees (im sure this is a cardinal sin but it gets bass impact going though probably not very accuratly(. This helps the soundstage more and I get an image though its like I am in the front rows.

At least this way I can move the speakers back in a foot or so and point them square from the wall to listen properly from the couch.

No great but the best I have come accross so far.
Looks like the big obstacle here is the room arrangement. That's certainly an elegant shelf system, but I wouldn't want to use it as a desk nor to be face-first against the wall like that. If there were a way to set up a work surface that allows you to look out across the room, you could use a single set of floor speakers, and tighten up the angle a bit so there's no sonic hole between them. A better room arrangement might get to the problem's root, more so than just spending on additional technology.
Shawnparslow, Why not purchase a small pair of Magneplanar panel speakers. You could get a floor standing model, about 4 1/2 ft high, or a pair of wall mounted speakers that swivel out from the wall. Either way, you could position them toward your desk or sit back on your couch and enjoy! The Maggies sound wonderful and are not tiring in the least, with nice 3-dimensionality, beautiful mid and upper ranges. They go down to 50 Hertz on the low end, so you might want to add a subwoofer at some point, perhaps a $700 ERA with an 8" woofer. Give a listen to them at a local dealer. You could pick up a pair on Audiogon for about $500 or even less. The floor standing model goes for $1100 new.

Have fun, waltcertain