Biamp N802:is 55W tube enough for high/mids?

Hi

Is 55W enough to really drive the mid/tweet? The midrange presents a low impendance load down to 4 ohms.

I normally use 400W to drive these with their complete passive xover. I would still drive bass with 400W but it is difficult to afford triode power much more than 50W.

is that enough?

Call me a power freak I guess.
topher_m
Having owned several sets of b&w's, inc. M802's, & knowing how much power they require, I'm skeptical. But then, I never tried to bi-amp them. A more complete list of your system, power amp, etc., would help.....
Two different amp signatures crossing at 350hz does indeed sound terrible. I tried it and that's how I know. N802's will play fine with 55 tube watts, PHI110 in triode but I usually run the 110 watts in ultralinear.
Thanks all

I am going to make the plunge. Actually this is really a transitional stage for me anyway - I will be working system towards a biamped line array system (these can easily be made ultra-sensitive). I just didn't to leave myself high and dry in the meantime.

I will be using a BAT VK-55 on the top and Parasound JC1 on the bottom.

The key is that I can actively biamp and eliminate any overlap between amps. I will be using a DEQX that can do 100db/octave+ crossovers.

While I can't say I am speaking from personal biamping experience, I believe that the tonal differences between an aluminum tweeter, kevlar midrange and paper woofer are probably greater than tonal differences in amps - even tube vs ss.

I will be able to accurately compensate for gain differences with the DEQX also - bi/tri-amping is it's whole purpose.

Wish me luck
should work. On my 603's the top seems to do only tweeter while the lower terminals do mids and low end. Try urs to see if that is how urs is setup if so the tweeters need very little power
The key is that I can actively biamp and eliminate any overlap between amps. I will be using a DEQX that can do 100db/octave+ crossover
I strongly suggest you follow the characteristics of the passive x-overs (slope, freq, q, etc)

You will disconnect the spkrs' internal x-over of course.