Making High End Clones at Home for Fun and Savings

I recently ordered a Sonic Impact amp from parts express and I have been experimenting with speakers including a pair of Epos ELS3's and the Radio Shack Presidians to use with an iPod.

On the one hand, this really made me appreciate my ARC, Levinson, and Tympanis which was nice.

But as you know if you have tried these bargain components, they can sound surprisingly good. And experimenting with them has given me a bit of a do it yourself bug.

Can anyone please provide more links or details on how to make high end components at home?

Given the fairly easy availability of good drivers, can we also buy high quality, simple crossovers? Amplifier kits?

Composite cabinets to knock off Green Mountain Audio or Wilson monitors?

This is FUN! Please do tell.
cwlondon
The high frequency response (say 2000 up) will be determined by the tweeter you use. You can buy the exact same tweeter used in many high end systems. Low frequency response is where matching an existing speaker system will take some work. You can buy very fine drivers at reasonable cost, but mating them to an enclosure is both an art and science. I suggest that you first play around with cheap and easily modified plywood boxes until you come up with something good. Only then begin to worry about fine furniture grade carpentry. As for crossovers, your best bet is to biamp using an electronic crossover that is easily reconfigured for frequency and slopes. You can do tests in an hour or so which would take a week if you were playing around with passive crossover design.

Finally, a shortcut is to clone an existing design instead of reinventing the wheel.
An identical box and identical drivers doesn't make one speaker a "clone" of another. In my opinion, the heart and soul of loudspeaker design is crossover design.

Duke
Given the fairly easy availability of good drivers, can we also buy high quality, simple crossovers? Amplifier kits?

Of course.

For example; Solen in Canada, Wilmslow in the UK, Linkwitz in the US and many many many others (sorry for not mentioning al the DIY sources).

Will it be cheaper than buying new. Probably but not always obvious. Will it be as good as the original from a high quality manufacturer - unlikely. Will it be fun - almost certainly.
Audiokinesis...True, the "clone" might be slightly different. For example, the enclosure could be made of superior wood and with better craftsmanship, and the crossover could use superior parts. Crossover upgrades are a common diy project. It improved my MG1.6.