panel speaker help

recently purchased the magnepan 1.6. . it's ok but, want more accurate instrumental timbre.

any ideas ?? i don't like hybrids and i won't consider mg 3.6s or 20.1 . no sound labs and no quads and no audio statitics. i am looking for fresh ideas--brands i am not familiar with.

thanks
mrtennis
If only the speaker you described existed! I agree that planar magnetic speakers (basically, Magnepan) don't have quite the transients of an electrostat (although the 3.6 and 20.1 have true ribbon tweeters -- you don't like those?)

You don't like hybrids? Neither do I, but you might just give a listen to the new Martin Logan Summit. It does have woofers, but they are now self powered, and the panel is constructed using a new automated technology that makes them more efficient using a smaller panel.

If you want to wait (not much longer now) the Apogee full-range ribbon is about to make a comeback under the ownership of a fellow in Australia. In their original incarnation, they were considered the best ever, and still are by many.

I can't really recommend any box speakers that do what a stat or ribbon can do. The one absolutely amazing exception IMO is the Eban X-3 or X-4 (currently reviewed in Absolute Sound) that I heard in Jim Aud's room (Purist Audio Design) at CES 2005. He's the only person I know in the US who has (had?) a pair! I kinda wondered what his buddy, Albert Porter thinks of them (I haven't heard the Dalis, Albert's current favorite.)

Their website is: http://www.raidho.dk/eben/index.htm
or in the US: http://www.dyanaaudio.com/

Or, you you could buy a used pair of Martin Logan CLS-IIz's or original Quad ESL 57's, and add a very fast sub (like my Martin Logan Depth.) See my system or Greg's system (Gregadd).

Well, those are my "ideas" -- I do understand the dilemma however ;--)
thank you nsgarch. i had heard the analysis audio speakers at the SHOW, January 2006. I was somewhat impressed. I then contacted the importer, a very nice gentlemen, and as a reviewer, i was offered a very good deal.

my concerns include thin distribution, speaker made in Greece, repair issues, stability of distribution if the current distributor decides to drop the line, binding posts on back of speaker and compatibility with amp.

the epsilon retails for $13200 and even with a deal its not small potatoes.

i guess i am on my own, but all i can do is bare my thoughts. that is the nice thing about this forum.