Can someone guide me as to what Single driver ??

I am interested in single driver speakers as I have owned 30 pairs of the major brands over the last 20 years, and have gone through upgrade fever over and over. I have been reading good things about SD with set amps which I own, I would only like to spend < 1500$ if posible ALso, can you add a top loading super tweeter to the binding posts to boost the highs?? recommedations? Seems to be a cult thing.
bbchem
Thanks for all your responses, I have since purchased a pair of Omega Super 3R Alnico's on Audiogon, these are probably the best speakers I have ever owned, and I have owned about 30 in the last 20years from the major brands both Planar and Dynamic.

Thanks, Bill
Darn Bill..you mean to tell me you didn't have to buy a pair of speakers the cost of a new Camry to be happy? I find that absolutely positively insane!! LOL

Just kidding..glad you found something you like..I use the big brother Alnicos of your single drivers..I feel the same way.

Good listening!
I have a question about building something like the Hammer Dynamics speakers, first, does the $650 include cabinets?
Also, I am mechanically spastic and illiterate but can follow simple instructions, is it very difficult to build these?

Thanks to Dark Moebius
Bdchem:
1) YOU build the cabinets (or the friendly carpenter, or friendly diyer in the neihbourhood)
2) No it's easy to build them. You can even get the wood cut according to plans and just do the assembly (and gluing, etc). That's recommended route for first projects.
Bdchem,

I've heard the Hammer Dynamics and I've heard my HempAcoustics speakers and I can tell you I favor my speakers. They are also a much easier build. You purchase the drivers from HempAcoustics and purchase the pre-built cabinet from Madisound. You would need to have someone cut the hole for mounting the driver, port and binding post cup and install them. Connect the internal speaker wires from binding post cup to drivers. That's it. Very easy project.

Take a look here:

http://www.hempacoustics.com/Review.pdf

Very simple build and the sonic results are fantastic. Since I use mine in a nearfield setup, I put them up on the high-mass stands from partsexpress in order to get the driver at ear height.

Enjoy,

TIC