The under 10K speaker

I've been auditioning and reading for at least a year now, looking for a speaker I can live with blissfully for a long time. I tend to hang on to my equipment for maybe too long so I want to make the most informed decision on speakers. My current setup is a pair Classe CA100's in mono driving Def Tech's BP2000's(don't laugh). I sold my AR LS15, Classe Dac1 and Theta Jade. I'm running a music server (EAC ripped/FLAC encoded) through a Squeezebox3 direct to amps. I'm waiting for the Slim Devices "Transporter" and contemplating a pair of Mono Odyessy Extremes depending upon choice of speakers.

The best I've heard so far were the Wilson Sophias. I've auditioned B/W's all models, Revel's (Sound excellent), Paradigm's, Thiels, Von Schweikert (not the VR4 SR's), JM Labs Utopia, Sonus Fabar, Usher's and others.

I'm thinking about the Wilson Sophia's. I'm interested in the VR4 Jr, The Acoustic Zen Audiago's, Usher Dancer, Revel F52, Daudeulis? DA1 (can't spell them but people love them).

I wish for a full range speaker but adding a subwoofer isn't out of the question.
Hey, this can be fun..
128x128desalvo55
You are hard-pressed to do better than Zu Definitions in your price preference. $9,000/pr in basic satin finish and a little over $10,000/pr in high-gloss automotive finish. They will give you both high power handling and very high efficiency for terrific dynamic range. Definitions will work well with the widest variety of amplification of any speaker you've mentioned, give you outstanding tonal accuracy, soundstaging, and octave-to-octave consistency in transient behavior. You also get freedom from the tone-choking effects of passive crossovers. 60 day trial period in your home.

Phil
Hi Desalvo,
Under $10k leaves a lot of options. Many of the options you mentioned are exceptional. Being a dealer for the Usher and the Adagio, I can only recommend you audition them. You won't be sorry.
I was also a dealer for the Daedalus DA-1 which is another great option to consider but you will have to contact Lou Hinkley at Daedalus to set up an audition of find a consumer that has them. The Daedalus are now sold direct. They are a very nice speaker but a different flavor so an audition would be very important. Good luck with your search and happy listening.

"Build your system for yourself, not the critics"

Bill
Wow some great recommendations. I'm looking at new and used speakers. I know nothing of the Tylers other than the numerous adds I see on this site. I'm not familiar with the Wilson Benesch Act. What I've understood was that the Sophia is Wilsons best for the $$$ and was stunning in presentation. They're seem to be a lot of folks however that feel Wilsons are not as good as the Von Schweikert's. Wish I knew where to find the Aerial 9s. I live in the SF Bay Area. The Focus FS88 is another speaker I'm wholly unfamiliar with. Perhaps I'll do a Google search for a review. Never heard of the ZU definitions either. Damn there are a lot of speakers on the market.

I did check on the Acoustic Zen Adagio reviews. If I were to take the reviews on these speakers so seriously, I might pick up the phone and order them now. They certainly are lookers. It seems though that most are using tube amps for these jewels. Not knowing tube gear I'd be beating my brain trying to find a tube amp setup I'd be comfortable with. I may add a Dodd preamp to the mix, if they ever ship..
I would recommend Verity Audio Parsifal. I've listened to Von Schweikert VR4 Gen III HSE (very detailed) and Sophia (Dynamic with very good soundstage), but I ended up keeping my Parsifals because it has more texture and is the least mechanical sounding.

I've also listened to my neighbor's Acoustic Zen Adagio a few times with all Acoustic Zen cabling, Gamut D200 MK3, Nuforce amp, and Audio Note M6 preamp. I found the sound of the Adagio on the dark side and uninvolving. I don't know if it's just an equipment mismatch since I've read rave reviews about this speaker, but there are also at least 4 pairs for sale here on Audiogon, which is a lot for a speaker that just came out.

You should pick speakers that match your tastes, because it doesn't matter what other people or reviewers say about speakers unless it appeals to you. We don't get married to the same woman, do we?
I think you have many good suggestions...many of which I have heard some I have not...I would second the Wilson Benesch ACT.

Kurt