Are the Klipschorns mainly for Classical music ??

I recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns. I also purchased a pair of Cornwalls. It seems that the Cornwalls are crisp and clean and a shade boxy while the Klipschorns are a very open sound. I have found the Klipschorns to be very good for classical music and some Satriani and Eric Johnson. I find that classic rock leaves alot to be desired because the recordings seem to be less than what I expected. I would like to hear comments from Klipschorn owners as well as Cornwall owners......thanks
allsmiles
Boa2, I'm confused. You obviously love your speakers, yet you spend a good deal of time searching for your next speaker. Please explain.
Sorry for the confusion, Ohhwy61. First, I like hearing different systems. Second, I do in fact love our speakers. Third, my hope is to be living in a larger space before too long, with enough room for two systems. We'll keep the K-horns with a pair of SET amps for active listening, and a SS amp/tube preamp set up for a hard-drive system that we can leave on all the time, and listen to all day. With such a system in mind, I've been out listening to many different speakers...not to replace the K-horns, but to broaden the spectrum, as it were.

Hope that clarifies things.
Boa2, thanks for the kind explanation. I know from other posts that you love your tweaked Klipschs, so I thought it was a little odd that you might be actively looking for a replacement. Best of luck with the quest for the new living quarters, but prepare to be surprised with what will actually works best in any new space. Fitting old systems into new spaces can be a humbling experience.
Fitting old systems into new spaces can be a humbling experience.
I'm sure you're absolutely right. I'm hoping that as much as we like the sound of our system in our current poorly designed, cheaply constructed, smallish, second-floor listening room, that we'll experience a foot up in the acoustical department with an amelioration of these shortcomings. We'll see what happens when the time comes.
Undertow....why do my speakers WITH the Carver M1.5t sound great with Dark Side of the Moon....Black Sabbath 1.......Eddie Van Halen "Eruption"......Joe Satriani......Eric Johnson.......I still think it is the cd engineering and recording that is a limiting factor NOT my Carver amp. If some cds sound great and others sounds pathetic, I am sure it has to be the cd that IS the problem...that is just common sense. If NO cds sounded good then I would believe you. I still think Carver rules !!!!
If some cds sound great and others sounds pathetic, I am sure it has to be the cd that IS the problem...that is just common sense.
Allsmiles, I was under the same impression until we upgraded the CDP, cables, and found an amp/preamp combo that mated so well with the Klipschorn that literally every CD in our 1500+ CD collection sounds rich, musical, and full. Sure, you can hear that some are not as well produced as others, but none sound less than good. And we play everything from jazz vocalists to heavy metal.

Number one, if you like the Carver, then by all means stick with it. On the other hand, I don't believe that lousy sounding CDs can automatically be attributed to a truth-telling system. In other words, how can you determine that the shortcomings you are hearing are due to the recording, and not to the inability of the amplifier or CDP to flesh out certain recordings? I'm of the opinion that if you feed a full-range speaker what it likes, the system can suitably cover all of the musical genres. Naturally, some recordings are better supported by a 400W amp than a 4W amp, but it all comes down to personal choice. That said, the combination of SS, a modest CDP, and an undampened K-horn will only exacerbate the worst of the 1980s recordings...and don't forget that Bon Jovi and Def Leppard will chew right through any audiophile system. :-)