Best monitor under 5k?

I am looking for some opinions on what monitor speakers under $5000 give the most bang for the buck. I may have to move into a smaller apartment and am looking for something that would work in a smaller environment.
kmiller5
I recently moved and had to sell my Magnepans as they were too large for the new room and also had to be further away from the wall than the room allowed.

Besides liking the sound of the speaker, your two primary smaller room issues are typically, 1) just the physical size of the speakers, and 2) the need for them to be closer to rear and side walls with minimal deterioration. The latter parameter will be hard to judge unless you can test drive them at your own house.

I ended up with a pair of Spendor S5e speakers that are small footprint floor standers (they also make stand models) and they also sound good even though they are relatively close to the rear wall.

The second place speakers were Dynaudio Contour 1.4's. Their main drawback was they were about double the price. That made my decision easy as even if they'd been the same price, it'd still been a horse race between the two.
Harmonic Precision Caravelle, www.audiopoints.com. Great monitor! $5,000.00 with stands.

Chuck
I heard the Totem Mani-2s sound great in a small room in Montreal two shows ago. They have a warm balance not too dissimilar from your Vandys. I've always liked this speaker for putting a lot into a small and well-made package. They need a first-class, powerful amp and you have one.
I've lived in an apartment for 6 years or so and have had my Coincident Super Eclipse Series II for about 5 years. I use a SET amp with a BAT VK-50SE preamp. The Super's are not small, but they are narrow and don't dominate the room. They provide more bass than stand-mounted speakers and look nicer.

I know all about apartment living - like when you are unlucky enough to get neighbours with a nasty boom box + sub system and all you can hear is the thumping bass. They didn't stay long.

My apartment is old so the walls are pretty solid and the current neighbours are quiet.

What you need, though, is a system that sounds good at low levels. It's my opinion that an efficient speaker does this better. If you are going to get an efficient speaker you may as well get one that presents a benign impedance load - and now you have the right transducer for single ended triodes.

I compensate for the lack of punch and volume I can have with beautiful tone, easy listening at all levels, and that extra magic that SET adds.

A lot of stand-mounted monitors are inefficient and need some volume to get going, and that's not what you can do in an apartment.

Just one person's opinion.

Regards,