Calling all electrostatic speaker owners

What are the sonic symptoms of a dusty electrostatic panel? Is vacuuming the best cleaning method?

Thanks.

Bob R.
rmrobinson1957
It will sound muted and not get as loud with agiven amount of power.
Vacume it once or twice a year using the soft brush attachment.
Cigarett smoke will give them perma-funk that won't come off.

Good luck!
The classic symptom of dust on stats is popping. what kind of speakers do you have.
Thanks for the responses. My speakers are ML Aeon i, about 3 years old. I live in a first floor apartment, over the leasing office. The UPS / FedEx / Comcast / etc diesel trucks park every day with idling engines, and since I leave my windows open most of the time, the apartment is fairly dusty. Dry northern California summers contribute to this also.

I have definitely noticed reduced output for a given volume input, as well as a loss of clarity in higher frequencies. Looks like it's time to break out the vacuum cleaner.
The Aeons, like most of the later ML speakers, automatically go into standby mode (discharged) after several minutes of not receiving a signal, so just try and keep your windows closed when using them ;-) Vacuuming is helpful (best if you unplug them an hour before) but I've found blowing them off with either an air can or the vacuum cleaner works even better. Just keep the nozzle at least a foot away!

If you think they're really gunked up (which they shouldn't be after only 3 yrs) the panels can be washed (believe it or not!) in the shower. It's a hassle though. You can get more info on the Martin Logan Owners website:

www.martinloganowners.com