Wilson Sophia 2 vs B&W 802d

I am close to purchasing a set of Wilson Sophia 2's. I have embraced Home Theater on a limited basis using B&W 804s,B&W HTM3s, and Quad ESL-63's on the front. I enjoyed the set-up but, since music is 80%vs HT 20% I have elected to upgrade the front two channels and just go with a 2 channel HT for the moment. Since my processor allows phantom center with shifting to L/R of center channel, 2 channel is very appealing.

I believe the Wilson's are very musical and very detailed at lower volume levels.

Do you think the Wilson's will retain as much value as the 802d's on the used market?

Does anyone have any differing opinions on the selection of the Sophia 2's over the B&W 802d's? Thanks in advance
jetusmc
I know what you mean about the decision. The more you solicit advice, the more advice you receive and have to process. On the B&W forum on another website a fellow has a great thread going on the 803d's. You may want to check it out.

I am leaning heavily towards the Sophia II's but the 803d is a great speaker
Here, let me add a couple ideas.
Maybe get used Watt Puppies-6 instead of new Sophias or last years 802s instead of the new 803Ds.
Hello.

Just a second opinion. There are a few alternatives which will hammer both of these fine speakers and will cost less or outperform both.

I am a dealer for Escalante Designs. Escalante was started by Terry Budge, who was the lead designer for both Wilson and Talon. They make a $13,000 subwoofer and stand mounted monitor that competes with and betters the WP 7! In a recent review this system was compared to a $30,000.00 Kharma rig and was considered in the same class! Escalantes are like Wilson's huge dyanmics, extremly low bass down to 16hz! and will play at ridiculous volume levels!

Also have you considered the USHER speakers? The new BE 20 will also destroy both the WP 7 and any B&W. The technology behind the Usher's is far superior to what many companies are offering, Ie pure Beryillium midrange driver and pure Beryillium tweeter. These speakers are in the Avalon Eidilon Diamond class yet sell for half of what that speaker sells for.

Also the Dali Euphonia's are terrific speakers which lean towards speed in the bass and a midrange liquidity too die for!

I have been doing this for tweenty years, many audiophiles buy into the hype that runs many of the biggest high end products, if you know where to look you can get fantastic sound for less!
Hey Jetusmc, where is the B&W forum with the 803d thread?

Still leaning toward Sophia II myself also.

Never considered Ushers because I haven't heard them and don't know of any dealers where I can listen to them. I would love to find the sound of Sophia's for less, just haven't heard it yet.

Used is a very good idea, but the II's are relatively new(I think). The 802d on the other hand........definitely maybe.
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=19095....I hope posting this link is permissible...If not, I guess you will never see it.