Another UPS Horror Story

I bought an Allnic T1500 amp here earlier this month. It was shipped in the original packaging by a UPS store from NJ to Seattle, fully insured. It arrived with a hole in the bottom corner and substantial damage to the amp (subchassis bent). I contacted the seller who refused my refund request and I processed a UPS claim.

UPS picked it up and did an inspection at their customer service center. They found no damage to the box (I have photos of the 6" hole in the bottom), did not look inside and have now sent it back to the NJ. Once again the seller has refused to refund my payment claiming he doesn't have the money to refund.

At this point the shipper will have my original payment plus the damaged unit, which might be repairable. Can a UPS claim be appealed? Can a UPS Store be sued in small claims?

I know I should never have given this back to UPS for "inspection". My best hope is that once it gets back to NJ they will ship it to the Allnic recommended repair shop in Pennsylvania and it can be fixed.
jarrett
Don't count on it ! that unit might spend the next few months being shipped back and forth. I have seen this with a pair of speakers!! If something shows up broke, you get it fixed and see if the seller will help with costs. But never ship the unit back to UPS they are so stupid about these returns. Meanwhile your unit is bouncing around on some UPS package car or center (this is not good for electronics) this dose not help anything. File a claim sure, but don't ship the unit until you get your money first. Hey good luck .
I had a similar experience and Rogue sent me a new amp to replace the damaged unit

fwiw

good luck to you
sorry to hear about your loss.

i think if you've read the numerous other stories here,
you could have avoided the doubling of your misery.

first off, the seller is responsible for getting you the
item in working,non-damaged order. It is not acceptable
for the seller to throw up his hands and say, it's not my
fault

But secondly, and more important, you never should let
the damaged item leave your hands. have the inspection
done at your home by a UPS person. Also be aware, this
person, while he may sympathize with you and appear to be
your advocate, they are likely not the decision maker on
the claim being paid. Also, if my the amazing grace of
god, the claim gets paid, it is the seller who receives
the claims money. So, the jerk, who refused to help you
from square one, now has the broken item , your purchase
money, and the claims money.

once they take the package, it gets really mis-handled
from there. The box it came in as already been
compromised, and they take no steps once in their hands
to change that, meaning further and further damage

i've held the item which gave me time to try to work
things out with the seller, PayPal, and however else---i
let the package go using a Call Tag once things were
resolved.
Since the shipper buys the insurance from UPS he is the insured party and he has to file the claim with UPS, which is why they sent it back to him. Not that that does any good because UPS and other shippers are notoriously bad about paying for damage.

Here is what Audiogon has to say about your situation in the Support Center:

What if an item is damaged in shipping?

If an item is damaged in shipping, you should contact the seller immediately so that a Damage Claim is filed.

***The responsibility of pursuing a Damage Claim is solely with the seller,***

however, you will need to cooperate with the with the seller and the shipping company in any manner requestsed. Often, the shipping company will come back to pick it up, or inspect the package in your home.

•Keep all of the packing materials exactly as you received it.

•Do not attempt to use the item or plug it in, which may result in further damage.

•Do not attempt to disassemble or repair the item unless the seller first agrees.

•Take photos of the item and the packing materials as soon as possible.

If a seller and a buyer cannot agree on a course of action to follow, a Dispute may be filed with Audiogon here.

//////////

It looks like you're going to have to file a Dispute with Audiogon.
"What has brown done for you?" have not heard that one lately,should be "What has brown done TO you" but that is a dead horse that is not going to get up and trot.
First thing,at the sign of significant damage,as in this case,the package should be refused and sent back to the seller,the name on the insurance form,that,as noted above,is the person to deal with the damage.
I think it may be time to consider using Escrow.com,they are partnered with PayPal now and can offer services for items under 5,000$.
Audiogon means well,but when the rubber meets the road your bucks are frozen and what little heat they can apply will not defrost your cash in your direction.
Lesson learned ..... Communicate with your seller and ask for pictures of the packing job and make comments and suggestions to protect yourself.On the sending end...overpack and insulate and use FedEx.Then overpack again and add more reinforcent.So let the "reinforcement be with you".I consider myself lucky on both ends of selling and getting sold to,but this is a profound reminder that your audio dreams can quickly turn into a nightmare especially if your hard earned dollars have been spent and the seller can't act in a responsible manner via a refund.
To close,as I opened,i will again caution against UPS as a transporter and ask what others experience,or thoughts with Escrow.com.My brain still sizzles with the sight of a small FedEx female driver pulling up to the front door and nonchalantly throwing a hundred pound package on her shoulder.I knew how heavy that box was and let her know it is fragile and she will have to carry it at least 75 feet...her response "No problem,we are good" and we were.