Rank Stereophile, & why no Von Schweikert reviews

Why is it that Stereophile has no Von Schweikert reviews in there archives? Did Albert piss them off? How would you rank Stereophile magazine against their competitors such as The Absolute Sound and others. Who is your favorite? Thanks
wjb
System balance and goals are crucial, as lightminer suggests. Heck I've got a $20 clock radio that sounds really nice - it just does not attempt to reproduce any sound out of it's natural narrow band in the midrange.

As far as reviews being never negative... well they ARE if you read them properly.

Have you ever been to a restaurant where you ask the waiter their opinion of a dish, and they kind of wince a little bit and say "well, it's good". What they are telling you is (1) it's BAD and (2) they can't be so up front about that for political reasons.

Negative reviews end in some variation of faint praise.

"I enjoyed my time with these speakers"
as opposed to
"I bought the review pair!"

"Anyone shopping for speakers in this price range should check these out'
as opposed to
"New benchmark in it's price range!".

Qualification by taste is a good one too:

"Anyone seeking a pair of speakers to match with a slightly lean sounding amp should check these out."

ETC.

I used to be annoyed by all this but now I find it amusing. The review journals need to be able to communicate to the reader, accurately, without directly insulting the potential advertiser.

And they do. You just need to learn the "code".

Art
It's interesting to read all the different POV's listed here about what gets review space etc versus what doesn't. I travel a lot and have been into the vast majority of US HE B&M dealer showrooms. I also look in on AudioGon and AA from time to time to see what's in the news etc.

Over the last few years there has been an obvious and widening gulf between the different products that generate this or that temporary buzz on the chat forums and are often fleetingly popular, versus what holds its place and sells in the marketplace outside the net.

The posts above mentioning VSA, EMM, Green Mountain, Reimyo, Tyler and Caravelles are all _perfect_ examples of products you see generate conversation on the internet, but are not widely distributed in the US and are not found in many traditional B&M dealers. Some companies like EMM and VSA went through significant internal changes in distribution/personnel over the past few years. I think EMM had some history years ago with SP that may be a reason no new reviews came when they launched new products.

Largely, the products covered in Stereophile these days, and to some extent TAS and SoundStage reflect products that are more widely available in traditional B&M stores. Product lines that have stable US distribution outlets and have stood the test of time in the market place are far more likely to earn review space--at least to some degree. As everyone likely knows, successful HE B&M dealers are becoming harder to find. This acts almost like a natural filter for brands-- Manufacturer's must not only make products that perform well, but have exceptional production and delivery time, excellent dealer support staff, customer support and some manner of solid company infrastructure (bookkeeping/International etc).

The competition for market share among speaker lines especially, is incredibly intense, making it hard for new or unique products no matter how great, to find any footing at traditional dealers. Again, what you see reviewed in the magazines largely reflects what is available and successful at US traditional B&M dealers. This months Magico review/interview in SP and previously in TAS is an exception, but it also points out that that may well be a great products to check out.

You may see a preponderance of reviews for certain electronics/speaker lines mostly because those are very strong companies with exceptional service, a broad staff, solid distribution and time tested success at a majority of B&M dealers. In a way, there is some good in that. People that buy products that have long term success at established dealers may be more likely to have a better overall buying experience and receive better support, warranty service and re-sale value. There are many small companies that deserve better recognition and support as well. I am merely pointing to one of the reasons I think reviews at the majors fall the way they do.

Grant
I like Enjoythemusic.com, TAS and Stereophile ... and about everything else I visit or find (beyond ETM). In large part I just like to keep up with what's being made, the associated data, and what reviewers have to say. Most of the letter posters are self-indulgent and intentionally insulting, so I tend to ignore their diatribes. I also enjoy zipping through all of the info found on AGon. The only audio mag I simply couldn't digest was one called "Listener," dating back to 1999 or so.
I think we take any mag reviews far too seriously in general. Personally I subsricbe to both for a variety of reasons and have issues with both. On TAS, a) no measurements: while I am not a measurements guy mostly due to my own ignorance, I see why some would want it and to rule it out I think is a mistake on TAS. But perhaps more importantly, I hate the whole pontification on what constitutes what is the absolute sound itself or conceptual flights they frequently go on about. To me at least, its a bunch of intellectual masturbation that is driven by self narcissism. Amateur philosophy is not what I am looking for. Now not all reviewers like that at TAS and even those who are do not always write in such manner. But as mag, they do have that tendency...and Hifi Plus I find tends to go into that direction too frequently as well.

Stereophile does not go in that direction and the writing style is more to my taste. But I agree with what is being implied here in that its choice of equipment to be reviewed could be much more varied and falls behind TAS. And all reviewers should really avoid hyerbole and point the relative weaknesses with more clarity IMO.

At the end of day, what I personally I look for in these mags and any others is simple a) technological trends b) a basic idea of how the equipment works (functionality etc) and an idea how it sounds, what are the strengths and weaknesses to consider.

One thing. I do love Stereophile's special articles in a particular artist or musical genre. Through it I gotten to know and find out more...and ultimately led to further investigation/enjoyment of the Italian jazz scene as well as current New Orleans music post Katrina. Surprisingly these reports I find are better written and researched with greater variety than most mags dedicated to just music. I wish they did more. Perhaps it because in these reports, there are no commercial interests involved?