Do you enjoy the sound at your local Theater Plex?

Can you tell what kind of audio system is used? Is it "audiophile" sound quality?
128x128mapman
I agree, way too loud and sounds like crap. That was 11 years ago and I have not had any inclination to return.

The sad part is the masses enjoy this brutal sound so the theaters give them want they want.

Live sports events are no better. One is constantly assaulted by the PA system.
yo'all watchin' very loud movies with guns and bombs and toobadoombadam pif-paf vroomvroom xbox ps3 typ'o stuff. there are different movies that sound better and more quiet, but they're not made in hollywood and perhaps not of interest of an average viewer barely possessing high-school diploma.
We saw Interstellar at an iMax theater last week. Wow -- possibly the greatest cinema experience I've ever had. Not necessarily a great movie, but damn, what a trip on the super big screen. Didn't seem too loud either.
The movie in question was Minority Report which in itself was ok.

I have no desire to see creatures fly through the air in all directions, morph from on thing to the other, blood and guts everywhere, and explosions every two seconds. So just count me out.
Most of the cinemas I'm familiar with use entry level professional QSC amps... the RMX series. Entry level QSC amps are very reliable and cheap. As far as sound goes in the movie theaters.. everything always sounds clean to me, but their speakers never seem to disappear like my speakers do in my audio room. Anyway, I don't let that loud shit distract me from enjoying the movie... I actually kind of like it. BTW, I thought Interstellar was a really good movie.. I actually enjoyed it immensely!