Single Driver Horn vs Multi driver efficient spker

I have delved into SET and have gone for multi driver speakers to single driver full range. They are OK, but lacking dynamics and punch. I have been told that GOOD(expensive) horns would do the trick, but I wonder if I should go back to an efficient Multi driver speaker, i.e. Coincident Total Victory. I know that SET and lots of drivers and crossovers are not the best, but I not over whelmed with the Single driver thing. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks
Mike
128x128brm1
You are right, the Beta version amp(integrated?) could very easily be the problem. Everything is SET/audio is a tradeoff and there is no free lunch. It's easy to get one factor right, but all of them take skill, experience, and/or money.

The designers of your amp may be focusing on subterranean bass at the expense of midrange magic or highs. Or, they simply may not have the circuit fine-tuned yet. There is a reason why it's a "Beta", afterall.

I just started to get into high-eff speakers and SET's last year. Believe it or not, in a massive town like Los Angeles County(265 sq. miles), there are only 2 or 3 shops that carry single-ended gear. There is no way to get any idea what it's all about.

Regardless, whenever you get into something new, the first few tries are more about finding out what you don't like than the opposite(unless you get horribly lucky).

As a result, I decided to buy well known, well received, amps of mature designs (nothing new), that I could easily resell for breakeven after getting a good sense of what they have to offer. There just no substitute for 1st hand, personal, experience in your own system. I am now on my 4th this year. Every single one has had something great about them. But, then the others have been just as good in their own way.

Do not get shackled to one amp that may not have any resale value, there are a plethora of great companies making superbly affordable SET gear these days. Especially, in your ($2k-3k)price range if a used Cary SEi was possible - ASL, Welborne Labs, Almarro, Sophia Electric, Eastern Minimax, Opera Consonance, DiyHiFi, Decware, Bottlehead, etc.

All of those make first rate amps that have a proven performance record are easily resold along with keeping their value.

Perhaps you should try something different if you can get your money back.
Louis is a terrific guy. Good thing about buying from him..you can always return the speakers and not be out much money on his 30 day return policy.

Maybe those Zu speakers are more your speed. I think they also have a try before you keep policy.

It seems like you need to go with a floorstander....What ever the choice.

Good luck ..I hope you find what you seek.
Where can I find out "everything you ever needed to now about Horn speakers"? The only one I can listen to in my area is Avante garde and they are way out of my price range. When I have heard them, I did not really liked them, is that telling me everything I need to know about Horns?
Mike
LOL..that's funny Mike. Here's a site that's bursting in info Horn Speakers. It's tough to judge equipment that's not in your room. What ever you listen to try to get it in your home. I know this route can be expensive..but it's the only way to know if it will work for you.

I believe your preference in unamplified or amplified music will dictate what direction you move towards also.
Also while I'm at it... check these speakers out.
Orion loudspeaker. They look yummy! I'm still hankering to try this open baffle thing. If they sound anything like planars with dynamics I'm sold! :-)