Listening triangle

Made a geographic providing me with a much larger listening room. Use to keep my monitors (Caravelle) 6 feet apart. The room dictated the design. What is your experience with distance between speakers in your listening triangle? I'm thinking, rather than 10 feet, on 8 feet. One speaker has to be about 2 feet from the side wall. The other has no boundary wall. Room is 24 feet long with 12 foot ceilings. Feedback appreciated from my fellow audiophools. thanks in advance. warren :-)wa
128x128warrenh
I'm not really going to address your question. I think there are too many variables involved in the speaker/listener/room interaction equation to be reduced to simple statements about speaker distance. Two variables for you to be concerned about is the Caravelle's power response through the midrange and treble. Will the reflected sound closely mimic or diverge from the direct radiated sound? The farther away you are from the speaker the more important this becomes. The other is how the relatively different speaker locations will excite room modes.
Warren, I have a room that is a basicly dedicated that I listen to music in but, is much smaller in proportions. My speakers are Apogee Slant 6s and I have the same type of boundries as you do, my spaekers are approx.8-9 feet in spacing as opposed to a tighter 6ft as has been suggested to me but still are great sounding. For the boundry problem though I also use 4 48" Room Tunes and have a self created boundry wall to balance and assist tuning in my room and have excellent success with this. The best advice that I have received is to play a bit with placement to acheive the best results. As you probably know the problem created with a corner as well as the neeed to keep the speakers forward of the the front wall so that you can tweak the bass responce a bit, from there you can try adjusting the toe in, some require a bit more than others some none at all for that big sound stage. I have also been told of users measuring with string to do thier actual trangulation to get thier best results too. Closing in the width distance should focus the placement better but doesn't mean that it will be to your liking. Hope this helps a bit :>). Ray
1. The good thing is you have a lot of room to work with
2. The bad thing is, see #1.
:-)

Seriously, all you can do is start moving your subs and monitors around; you'll know when it's right. Have fun!!
Really does seem to be a lot of trial an error in speaker placement as each room is so different.
I tried the Cardas method and it was different, but the soundstage was not as wide (it called for moving the monitors 4.25' from the sidewalls and 7' from backwall).
I am using a variation of it and the rule of 3rds, or 5ths or something :)

A couple basic suggestions:

Move the monitors into the room from the backwall if you can, and in from the sidewalls. Experiment from there on placement and toe in.

I settled on 5' in, 3.25' from sides, 8' apart and my listening spot is 10' from monitors (so not a triangle). Sub is behind the left speaker away from the backwall and next to the sidewall.
No toe in. Room is 15.5' wide by 26' long and 8' high with stairwell wall on right side halfway into room.

System is in my signature.
Have fun. It took me a week of playing around.
Will probably change it next month:)