Remedy for Spendor sub 60Hz deficiency?

Greetings forum,

Recently I've come to the realization that, while I love my 2/3s' for everything else (except perhaps "soundstage" or "imaging"), the bass just ain't there. I know I can't get a better speaker for the money I paid for these used, and in order to boost bass, I'd have to move them closer to the wall or possibly find some shorter stands (currently at 21").

Setup:
Amp=Musical Fidelity A3 integrated; CD=Arcam Alpha 9 or Sony SACD/DVD 555ES; Analog=VPI HW 19 w/Benz Micro M2; CD interconnect=DH Labs air dielectrics;speaker cable=homemade 8 AWG into each terminal

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks
Alan
messamuse
Hi,

The 2/3s are a pretty large bookshelf speaker w/ an 8" woofer. My experience was that they sounded considerably deeper than their 60 hz. rating, which I thought conservative, and had considerable energy below 60 hz. However, that was in a relatively small room. I believe an 18" stand is most common with these, though some may differ. Also, I think you can use these relatively close to the wall, since they are front ported. You might try either/both of these changes to see if it makes a difference. However, if you are in a large room, you probably will need a sub. I'm a big fan of the Spendors.

TLH
Von Schwiekert vs-1 sub.Works great with my Spendor FL-6.
Similar frq response to yours except they are floor standers.Actually my combo sounds equal to the S9's imho.Really helps with a 300 watt amp in the sub .That way you don't have to jack up the main unit volumne to get a decent bass response.
Also worked great with 3/5's.
Peterd
Hi,

Peterd, would you mind commenting further on the sound of the V/S sub with the 3/5s? It sounds like they integrated pretty well? I have gone back to 3/5s and love the sound but of course would like a little more bass response. Thanks,

TLH
I own a pair and have them mated to a REL Strata III. The sound is very integrated, and they just rock out on everything.