Anyone hear the Von Schweikert DB-99?

Does anyone own or heard this speaker? If so, please give me your impressions.

Also, what are the sonic benefits (if any) in a high efficency speaker over regular efficency?

Thanks
tickfight
As a follow up- after reading all amazing review regarding the 99s I purchased some. AMAZING speaker.

Jack-

How much of a difference do the super tweeters make?

Tony
The supertweeter at 19kHz adds to the upper harmonics of speaker,, the difference of the 99's sounding a bit more open and "airy" than without. As a VSA dealer, having lived with a pair of 99's without the supertweeter for a time, I prefer the addition of the new ribbon speaker module.
And as you know Tony, the 99's can be self-tweeked to add or subtract bass by simply dialing in the low-end using a volume knob located at the rear of the speaker. The 10" magnesium woofs are each pwrd by 300watt amps. It is surprising to me how a recording can sound so different and so much better in terms of overall dynamics with some easy and quick fine tuning. What audiophiles turnover and spend in electronics, accessories and other tweeks to shape the character of the sound around room abberations and marginal recordings may thus be avoided. But, not to be mistaken,, the 99's could be and should be matched with the best equipment you can afford to get the most from them. If it sounds like I'm gushing,,, I'm just all over this VSA model! I had three auditions over the w/e,, one gent was/is a musician. To watch their facial expressions while spinning a few discs was to give me as much pleasure as they experienced during the listening session. You are right Tony, the dB's ARE amazing! Thats the word they used too!

Best,

Jack
Houston
Can someone tell me if the DB99 come with grill covers? I read in another thread they did not come with grills but looking at the picture Bornie posted his have grill covers. Is this an option or do all DB99 now come with the covers?
all current dB99's come with grill covers. The optional supertweeter module comes without. BTW, the cabinets are built by "local" So Calif VSA partnered cabinet makers and the woodworking is superb and "one of kind". The wood finish palate ranges from standard to the very exotic. The "wait" time has been reduced though selection of non-standard finishes adds to the price. All "custom" line speaker cabinets,, are made near the VSA facility.

Jack
Hey Jack- yea you are gushing :) understandably so.

For the most part all speaker owners say good things about their speakers so I will throw this in as I think it's a great testimony to the 99's.

My wife could give a crap about speakers. To her they have been my silly hobby which she's tolerated because "at least it's not golf." After I set up the 99's and got them placed correctly with room treatments etc. I took her down(sound room in the basement) to listen to them.

I put on her faviorite band U2 and thought if anybody can charm her into liking these puppies Bono can.

So there she sat and as the right speaker rang out the first guitar she turned and said- "That sounds cool- the guitar is coming from over there".

Then the second guitar chimed in on the left side and she said "Oh that's neat they are seperated and real....."

Just then Bono started to sing and she stopped in mid sentence. She sat there for about thirty seconds and then turned to me and ask, "How are they doing that?" Without waiting for an answer she turned back and just listend.

She then got up and went to the middle of the speakers and the front wall to see if I had put a center speaker there and ask again "How can they be doing this?" After the song ended she sat there and said "WOW."

Now THAT's praise. These speakers are soo good that they not only have my wife off my back- she's next to me on the couch. Thanks VSA!!!