WOW Aerial 10T vs. B&W 801II/III

Not sure if there is anyone out there that has had the luxury of comparing these two speakers, but WOW!

I have been a HUGE B&W fan for years, owned 801F, 801-80's, 801II, 801II with NorthCreeks, 801III and even the 802Nautilus! I happen to prefer the 801II (with or without the NorthCreeks) over all the other B&Ws mentioned above.

UNTIL TODAY, when I purchased a set of 10T's! They are awesome! The bass is very tight and extremely deep! Mids are detailed and the soundstage is far better than that of the 801's!

Has anyone else listened to these differences?

Am I nuts?

Dan
Ag insider logo xs@2xporschecab
Thanks Stehno and others.

I do not necessarily listen to music at those volumes but, like a Porsche being able to hit 180, I like to know that I
can. I am setting up my system with the Theta (new to me) and the Aerial's and I wanted to be sure everything is working, no hiss, no humm, etc. While I check for these issues, I like to check volume thresholds which is when this thread began. With the 801's, I never had these issues.

Maybe I should revisit the volume levels and take a step back. I use this setup for Home Theater as well, and the volumes are fine, not an issue at all, but those are for obvious reasons.

I am borrowing a friends 801's to see if this particular set up will have the same issues on the 801's.

Thanks all for your help,

Dan

p.s. I hit 130+ this weekend one a very short stretch of highway 101 in Marin County, CA. No reason, but can.........
I wanted to thank each of you for your help. After several attempts with different amps, Citation 7.1, McIntosh MC-352, Marantz MA-24's, California Audio Labs CL-2500, and the Bryston 4B, (which all clipped) I have found the solution! No clipping, incredible clean mids and a top end that does just sing with a bottom end that DOES NOT STOP, the 4 channel Citation Audio 7.1 in a BIAMP configuration!
I had been bridging this amp which was probably a large part of the issue here. The amp is 210 x 4 into 4 ohms, and plays ever bit of it! The imaging is far superior, but not sure if it from NOT running it bridged or if it from the benefit of BIAMPING, but I FOUND IT!

Thanks so much for all of your help. I also have a call into the Aerial, Mike Kelly, to verify my hearing/sanity.
(really to be sure I won't blow the midrange and/or tweeter with this power.

Again, thanks for all your help and insight, it is threads like this that allow suggestions to be sought, issues recognized, and problems solved!

Dan
Hi,

I have heard good things about these speakers but have not actually listened to them.

How much power do they really need? Can they be bi-amped?

I am thinking that my McIntosh SS 100wpc would not be enough and I would need to add a bass amplifier.

What do you think?

I live in Indianapolis,

Scott
10T's need power to really show what they are capable of. Think on the order of at least 300 wpc into 8 ohms. They can be bi-wired or bi-amped. Another consideration is room placement. They need to be at least 3 to 4 feet from the rear wall and at least 2 to 3 feet from side walls. If you can do all of this, you are in for one hell of a sonic feast!