ARC Support

FWIW, I'll relate my recent experience with Audio Research Corp. I've been a customer of AR for some years, on and off, including the purchase of reference gear over the years. I recently have had to place most of my system up for sale due to personal reasons, and this included a pair of Reference 300 MKII amps purchased new in Dec 2000. I accepted an offer from a gentleman in France at a fair agreed upon price. He asked that I ship them to AR to have them swapped out to 220 for use in Europe, and have them shipped on to him. The cost of the service was not an issue. Anyway, without going into the agonizingly frustrating details, heres what happened in a nutshell: AR told me basically they wouldn't do it because it would mean the possibility of losing a NEW sale for them and their European distributor. They were/are seemingly more concerned with selling a new product, in Europe, than supporting a long time customer who purchased this product at a local US dealer at 10% off list price of 30K. I explained the guy wasn't going to buy new anyway, it was beyond his price point. Didn't seem to matter. My point isn't to engender debate between AR supporters and detractors. This is merely my experience, take it for what it's worth. I personally am incredulous, find this to be in poor form, and certainly am not inclined to patronize AR in the future.
mes
Mes~ It's unfortunate to hear how ARC's reponsed to your request. It seemed to me that they're missing the big picture by wasting time their time on a miniscule assumption that they might to loose a potential sale in Europe that wasn't going to happen anyway. They failed to consider that you're only selling due to a personal reason and that you're more inclined to purchase their products again in the future. You figure they would be more considerate after your fork out $30K.

Nick
ARC has done very similar things to many of their customers. They screwed me as well on an upgrade. Leonard, their "voice", is the "beware of this company" red flag. He is quite inept and has the personality of a rock. While the products are ok, they have the worst customer service I have ever experienced. Dave, their sales manager misled me when I was interested in buying one of their products. I called him and asked him specifically if there was an upgrade for the REF2 in the works and he assured me there was not. Eighteen days after I recieved my brand new REF 2, the company announced the release of the REF2 MKII. Dave then told me I would have to pay the full upgrade price. After I made a big enough stink, he agreed to drop the price of the upgrade down by 50%, but the damage was already done for me. Every time I have dealt with them it has ended in misery for me. They never return calls and do not care about customers.

I recommend people not support this company, they will not support you.
Another thing that really bugs me is their tube prices !
From their catalog:

VT100, VT100MKII (8) MP6550 (8) 6922 $839.40

Other sources charge under 400 for these SAME tubes. These are bone-stock, modern day svetlana's and sovteks. You can buy them over the counter at over a dozen places in ANY major city. ARC's claim that their tubes are 'more tested' has little relation to reality.

I like their equipment. They use good solid engineering with readily available tubes and materials. (I also like the sound) It's some of their corporate policies that are just awful.
I've also found Leonard to be most uncommunicative. Anyway, I hear ARC is already coming out with a Mk. II version of their mono amp just below the Ref 300 grade.
I live in the UK. Last year I bought a used ref2 from a private seller on Audiogon. Before the unit was shipped I telephoned Leonard at Audio Research to ask for the unit to be voltage converted to 240V at the factory. As described in posts above he refused to carry it out. I therefore had to take the unit to the UK distributor, Absolute Sounds. When I telephoned The MD of absolute sounds he reeled off a list of horror stories about the dangers of bringing in used goods from the States and did everything possible to dissuade me from proceeding. He quoted me a price of £375($525) for voltage conversion -outrageous but I had no choice. However, when I took the unit in, he told me that the conversion would actually cost £675 ( about $925)because they had to order extra "parts". The work involved in voltage conversion is minimal- even according to Leonard himself!

I feel that this kind of behaviour represents pure greed on the distributor's part- they cannot stand the fact that they have 'lost' a new sale even though I would never buy new hifi from the USA in Britain due to the extortionate mark-up ( $ price is simply changed to £ in most cases). ARC are in collusion with their distributors to prevent international trade in used products.

Also I agree that their introduction of costly 'upgrades' barely months after the introduction of a new product is reprehensible and insulting to customers who have made such an expensive investment.

Unfortunately the gear sounds good IMHO........