Classe SSP-25 vs. Proceed AVP

Trying to decide ona great 2 channel preamp that also does a good job with hometheater(Small Apt). I had been looking at the CAL 2500, but 5k is a bit out of my price range. I know Classe make good stuff, but does anyone have an opinion on this piece? The Proceed is an option because I could find a used one for about 3k. I have read the reviews at audioreview.com, but am looking for some more input. What about base management, I have heard the Classe doesn't have the most flexible setup is this tru? Help
jfunk
I recently bought a used Proceed AVP and am very pleased. Its easy to set up, sounds great, and offers flexibility with base management. Stereophile recently rated it borderline class A. I considered a Classe SSP 25 very seriously but could not find a dealer in Southeast Michigan that had one so that I could hear it. Also, a dealer in Ann Arbor told me that they dropped the Classe line completely because of reliability issues and the difficulty of getting units repaired. Its a pain to send a unit back to Canada and I guess the turn around time was months. He described the service issue as sending equipment into a black hole. This is only one dealer's opinion but it was enough for me to go with the Proceed. You may also want to read the review in Sound and Vision in 1999. The review was very favorable and addressed the issue of two channel performance. Hope this helps. Kevin ([email protected])
I am presently using the Classe SSP 25. It is a very good processor for both Movies and Stereo music. It is users freindly inspite all of the digital electronics it's carrying- DTS Cinema-DTS music-THX certified- Dolby digital(5.1 channel). Balanced out for 2-channel stereo music and Balanced in for Analog music( Phono). It has also a pure bypass analog stereo music that means when you are using a pure analog music signal from source the Classe 25 will not alter any of the incoming signal as a pre-amp. What ever sound you get from your source that is the one you will be hearing. For the movie it is no. 1. Buy it!!! cheaper than proceed and Lexicon or Meridian but the performance and quality will match or exceed the above mentioned brands.