Dealer Bias: Do They Really Add Value?

Many posts refer questions to a "dealer you trust", "get advice from a qualified dealer" etc. Maybe I have lived in big cities for too long, but these posts strike me as very naive or possibly written by local dealers masquerading as members on this board. Do you really think that dealers aren't biased, often ill informed or motivated primarily by profit? I dont' want to take away from the sincere people and genuine enthusiasts in the business, but I can't even count the number of times a "reputable high end dealer" has suddenly decided that Levinson is actually better than Krell, or Burmester blows Audio Research away, or we started having problems with Martin Logan, Audio Research etc. only months after they were touting the very same brands as the best thing in the history of the universe. Brands of equipment that work well together are often not sold by the same dealer, or even in the same state. I don't know but it seems that hotly competing lines are rarely represented by the same dealer. I agree that we should reward and give business to dealers who genuinely provide an excellent service, build long term relationships, give good advice and really go the extra mile, but all too often dealers seem to whine about , a shrinking market, customers who don't appreciate their service and value added etc when they need to look in the mirror and ask how much value they really add. I go OUT OF MY WAY to give business to people who try to get to know me and really take care of me, but when I perceive a mediocre, biased, commodity service, I am more than happy to get my advice from all of you and shop for my electrostatics, exotic cables and monoblocks on the internet at the lowest possible price.
cwlondon
My main complaint about the local dealer's is they are salesmen and not audiophiles. They have NO clue what sounds better or how to make it sound better but they do know what makes them more money, that is why I was told that some $1600/pair B&W speakers sound better then my avalon acoustic's when I was looking for an amp, does that make any sense? It does not to me.
P.S I hope none of you ever have to deal with this dealer because they are boneheads.
Now you may think I am completely insane, but after so many years of experimenting with components, understanding reviewers' and dealers' preferences and biases and hopefully knowing a little something about the manufacturers' histories, I feel I can pretty accurately GUESS how a component will sound in my system after reading reviews, talking to people and doing a little homework. With no demonstration whatsoever, I have purchased, Apogees, Martin Logans, Aragon, Jadis, Audio Research and Levinson and felt that I have combined components pretty well and never made a big mistake. Of course, it helps to hear a pair of speakers at a dealer, but given the inevitable and major differences in room acoustics, associated components, accessories etc. trying to purchase wisely from any single dealer still seems like a crap shoot to me. Still wondering: Do They Really Add Value?
Does a car salesman add value? Do you believe what he says about the cars he sells compared to other cars? Get real.

Honestly, there are a few, very few. Some carry stuff they believe in. In southern Cal, I can think of Gene Rubin, Brooks Berdan, Randy at Optimal Enchantment. Some are retailers who try to carry good stuff at price points and offer helpful advice. Try the people at Reference Audio Video, mail order and internet, but you can talk to them on the phone, and if you are in southern Cal you can go there and listen to stuff.

In the UK, Alastair Gardner, at signals.demon.co.uk or something like that, is welcome to stay at my house anytime he comes to southern Cal.

And then there was, let's see, starts with L, what should I call him, I'll make up a name, Lloyd. I knew Lloyd when he was first in the business, worked the scope to set up cartridges, did maintenance and sort of acted as a salesman. Answered questions honestly. Unfortunately, he was too honest. Lost a lot of sales. Saw him many years later working in another store when I was listening to a very nice EAD cd player. Knowing my values he recommended something his store didnt carry, a meridian 506, which I subsequently bought from someone else and still have in my second system.

Mel Murakami (Audio Haven - defunct) was another. Would answer questions and take time over the phone. He had two problems. One was location, the other was when you talked to him on the phone and suggested you might drop by he always said to call first so he could warm up whatever you wanted to listen to. Sort of discouraged impulse shopping.

So, the answer is some do, most don't. But, if you decide to buy something because you liked the way it sounded in a store, for goodness' sake, buy it from that store, even if it means paying a little more than you would on the internet. They provide a service in making stuff available to audition, and if we dont buy anything from them, they'll go away.