Dealer Bias: Do They Really Add Value?

Many posts refer questions to a "dealer you trust", "get advice from a qualified dealer" etc. Maybe I have lived in big cities for too long, but these posts strike me as very naive or possibly written by local dealers masquerading as members on this board. Do you really think that dealers aren't biased, often ill informed or motivated primarily by profit? I dont' want to take away from the sincere people and genuine enthusiasts in the business, but I can't even count the number of times a "reputable high end dealer" has suddenly decided that Levinson is actually better than Krell, or Burmester blows Audio Research away, or we started having problems with Martin Logan, Audio Research etc. only months after they were touting the very same brands as the best thing in the history of the universe. Brands of equipment that work well together are often not sold by the same dealer, or even in the same state. I don't know but it seems that hotly competing lines are rarely represented by the same dealer. I agree that we should reward and give business to dealers who genuinely provide an excellent service, build long term relationships, give good advice and really go the extra mile, but all too often dealers seem to whine about , a shrinking market, customers who don't appreciate their service and value added etc when they need to look in the mirror and ask how much value they really add. I go OUT OF MY WAY to give business to people who try to get to know me and really take care of me, but when I perceive a mediocre, biased, commodity service, I am more than happy to get my advice from all of you and shop for my electrostatics, exotic cables and monoblocks on the internet at the lowest possible price.
cwlondon
I didn't mean to wind everyone up on price wars. My main idea is that there are all kinds of politics, relationships, and profit motives behind a dealer's lines which poison the task of delivering unbiased, value added service and advice. In the end, a single dealer is unlikely to put the perfect system together for anyone.
Sorry to drift off point Cwlondon. I do agree with your points on dealers. I firmly believe that the audiophile should rely on his two ears, whatever lies between them, and his heart. Anything outside of these things is irrelevant. This is not a team sport. One should only concern himself with his own pleasure. Finding his own bliss, whatever that may be. A dealer will more often than not, pollute one's opinions. His tool for such pollutions is good old fashioned balderdash. This is especially true for a novice in this field. As time goes by, and confidence is developed, one hopefully learns to accept his own tastes, not apologize for them, and assemble a system to make him happy. Imagine during the dark ages of tubes(mid 70's to mid 80's), someone with the courage to stand up and pronounce that he preferred the sound of tubes to the absolutely AWFUL solid state of the era. The blasphemy! Solid state measures better(of course, we are not measuring it with music. Only 8 and 4 ohm resistors). Someone willing to trust his instincts. Not afraid to say a 35 watt Heathkit actually SOUNDS superior to that 1000 watt(remember those days?) solid state, Japanese receiver. Imagine the reactions he faced from the dealers. That guy listened to himself, and NOT the dealers. There stood a true audiophile.
Short story. My friend recently spent about $150,000 on two stereo systems. After buying the first system from one high end dealer we were having lunch across the street from another high end dealer that my friend had never been to. Strangely enough, I casually knew one of the salemen in that store who just happened to walk into the luncheonette. He used to work in a discount low end dealer (CRAZY EDDIE) over 25 years ago, and I recognized him, and even remembered his name! (now if I could just remember where I left my keys) Saying hello, I introduced him to my friend. After lunch my friend and I walked across the street to have a look around. We were "greeted" with sleazy nonchalance, begrudgingly shown a set of speakers, left in the room without the salesman asking one question about what it was we were doing in the store, or what we were looking for. After being ignored for so long that we became uncomfortable, we left, without the salesman so much as asking if we needed any help or a thank you, or a goodbye. Needless to say, my friend spent his money (another $75,000) elsewhere. Had the saleman taken the slightest interest in my friend he might have made a great sale and a lasting customer, instead of a terrible impression. Yes, some dealers do add value, but I think it is becoming ever more rare, and their aliegences do seem to change rather quickly. I have heard one too many putdowns of brands that a salesman happily promoted weeks earlier. Like friends, choose your salesperson carefully.