Fuses that matter.

I have tried six different fuses, including some that were claimed to not be directional. I have long used the IsoClean fuses as the best I have heard. No longer! I just got two 10 amp slow-blows WiFi Tuning Supreme fuses that really cost too much but do make a major difference in my sound. I still don't understand how a fuse or its direction can alter sound reproduction for the better, but they do and the Supreme is indeed! I hear more detail in the recordings giving me a more holographic image. I also hear more of the top and bottom ends. If only you could buy them for a couple of bucks each.
tbg
05-23-13: Vhiner writes:
an outfit called "Littlefuse. "
Forgive me, but the company is called Littelfuse. I believe they are one of the largest manufacturers of fuses in the world. They have an extremely broad inventory of fuses.

Regards,
Tbg,

The 2300 and the rest of the new line have received universally stellar reviews and are actually innovative in their design. It's quite possible that Hifi Tuning or Synergistic may one day create an upgrade of this type of fuse. They are continually expanding their selection.
+1 to Metralla's comment.

Vance, I'm not certain that the Classe person you spoke to was giving you a precise answer. Breaking capacity (also referred to as "interrupting rating") has nothing to do with the likelihood that inrush current at turn-on will cause unnecessary fuse blows. Or, at least, there is no direct relation between the two.

Breaking capacity refers to the maximum amount of current occurring under fault conditions, when the fuse SHOULD blow, that the fuse can deal with without an explosion or other safety hazard occurring. That rating will be far greater than the current rating of the fuse.

The parameter that is most relevant to withstanding inrush current without blowing unnecessarily is what is called the "nominal melting" point of the fuse, which is usually specified as (amps squared) x (seconds).

Datasheets at the Littelfuse site provide very comprehensive technical data on their fuses. You might want to look up the specs for the particular fuse that is in your amplifier, and ask the manufacturer of the upgraded fuse you are considering if they can provide you with the nominal melting spec for their fuse (as well as its breaking capacity, which as I said is relevant to safety). Their response should be interesting.

Regards,
-- Al
Al,

I am no engineer, so I'm certain I poorly paraphrased the fellow at Classe' but he was quite concerned with the safety of using anything other than the Littelfuse fuse because of the extensively described measurements in the data sheet to which you are referring. I plan on forwarding the data sheet for the fuse in question to both Synergistic and Hifi Tuning. I agree that the response should be interesting. For anyone interested, the fuse is a 215 series 012 Littelfuse...12 amp slo blo 5x 22mm.