CDP isolation platforms

This is a new area of research for me. Therefore, any and all suggestions regarding your favorite CDP isolation platforms/systems is greatly appreciated. Also, please include what you believe to be the strengths/weaknesses of your pick(s). Thanks.
billspecfoc
Bill, I have also used the bicycle inner tube platform and it works fantastic. You can construct a platform that cosmetically can look nice on your rack by doing the following. I simply screwed together something like a picture frame with four pieces of wood and inflated the inner tube just about 75%. The height of the wood needs to be a bit taller that the inner tube after it is inflated. I then cut out a piece of MDF that is just a bit smaller in dimensions then the opening of the frame that you constructed. The MDF is now the platform that sits on top of the innertube. Make sure that the MDF does not touch any part of the frame and your component does not touch the frame. I would recommend a dedicated isolation system for every component that you wish to isolate. The DAC or CD player is the most important piece in your system to isolate. By the way, check out www.vibrapod.com. I am in the process of building a new system with them. Good Luck! Denis
Hi Bill; I recently put Townshend Seismic Sinks ($200. for two on Audiogon) under my transport and DAC (Levinson 37 & 360S). Music became tremendously detailed, but the Sinks almost completely destroyed any sense of pace, rhythm, and timing so I removed them. Levinsons feet are unique and obviously have some kind of vibration control built in, so that may have been the reason the Sinks didn't work. I then put a Sink under my SF Line 2 pre-amp and it worked great-- music clarity improved a lot and it did not affect pace, rhythm, or timing. This is a difficult area of tweaking, and a lot of trial and error and listening may be needed to find something you like. On the other hand, maybe you'll GET LUCKY right off :-) Cheers. Craig.
Innner-tubes are cool. Certainly, the CDP will be isolated from the Rack. However, the inner resonance generated from within the CDP will "bounce off" the inner-tube and back into the CDP. I subscribe to the theory used in SYMPOSIUM products. The Platforms decouple and "drain" vibration from the components. The "Super" may be in your price range. Also, SYMPOSIUM "ROLLERBALLS" will float the CDP. (Contact me if you are interesed in purchasing SYMPOSIUM products). A DYI "layered" platform could be made from: a layer of formica board (on top), under which you put a layer of partical board, under which you put a layer of "foam padding" (typically used under carpeting), under which you put another layer of formica board. Once you have isolated the Rack with a platform, then, you could put pieces of high grade 60/65 aluminum (2" wide; 6" long; 1" thick) and let the metal (on the bottom of the CDP) rest right on these pieces. The whole system could cost 15-20 bucks.
Check out recent threads on shelf material and CDP isolation.... I'm about to compare Caterham's Neuance isolation shelf ($145) to my air bladder (8" wheel-barrow type is small enough in diameter, but large enough in bore to not require an MDF plate in between (or is that part important, too??)). I'll let you know if the platform resolves top octaves better than the bladder (which, BTW, does NOT seem to destroy PRAT by itsself.) I'm curious as to whether there'll be a spectral change, too, and will keep you posted. Cheers. Ernie
I have used / use Aurios, Seismic Sinks, cones of every type, and have a set of Roller Blocks coming. Without a doubt, the best isolation device I have used for a CD player is the Machina Dynamica Nimbus. It's expensive, but is more effective than anything else I've used. It is $700 - $800 and is hard to set up, but it works very well. Check it out at machinadynamica.com. I use Aurios under my pre-amp and amp. I will probably put the Roller Blocks under my P600. Just about everything seems to benefit from isolation devices. By the way, all of my Seismic Sinks had to be sent back after a couple of years to get the surface re-attached to the bladders. Michael Green Audio Points substituted for the feet on the Seismic Sink increase performance.