Is no reserve really the truth?

Isn't an auction with no reserve but with a minimum bid kind of misleading? A current auction here states that a Wadia 850 CD player is being auctioned off starting at $1 with no reserve. When you go to this auction you find that there is a minimum bid of $2960. Is this not for all intents and purposes a reserve or just plain old false advertising?
128x128dtwomey
Dtwomey- There is a difference between reserve and minimum bid. Reserve is hidden, minimum bid puts it out there to see so you don't have to waste your time. However, if the listing your taking about says starting at $1 and then there is a minimum on the detailed page then that is false advertising. I ran into this also on an auction here and was pretty upset. This is deceptive and is one real problem I have encountered on this site. Site sponsors should be informed and look into it. Posting the name would be a last resort; such postings are starting to deteriorate some of the threads into name calling or he said-she said affairs that are a real drag and add no useful information to help out the hobbiests who want to learn.
Dtwomey, you've been mistaken, I checked out that auction of Wadia 850 and the opening bid was $1.00 So far, there were many bidders and the price is up to $2930. Therefore ,the minimum now is $2960. If you were the first person to place a bid, you could have placed it at $1.00. I hope my explaination is of help to you.
I erred. This auction did start at $1. Please excuse my ignorance of the various practices and procedures involved in an auction.
Interesting timing on this question, because I have just had an experience here on Audiogon that made me inquire (to the Audiogon staff) if a seller could post a reserve price AFTER the auction began. I bid on a TEAC mini-system and the auction page stated that I was the high bidder (admittedly at a very low price). There was no reserve price posted, and I have the printout of the page to prove my point. A day later, when I checked the progress of the auction, there was a reserve price posted that had not been met. I sent an E-mail to Audiogon for a clarification, and they said that there was NO WAY that could happen, since sellers are not allowed to post a reserve price once an auction begins. However, the E-mail I received from Audigon DID say there was a chance of a glitch in the software. Hmmm, now that leaves me feeling really reassured! I guess the main point here is that one must study the terms of selling by auction, and exercise some caution even on Audiogon.