DOA- do we need to redefine the 'A'?

Goners,

There was a thread recently posted by a seller who was in a disagreement with his buyer about financial responsibility for fixing a malfunction that occured about six months after the sale. Most people agreed that asking a seller to help pay to fix a component that he had sold in perfect working order six months before was unreasonable, but that had the component arrived at the buyers doorstep dead, or had it broken within a short period of time, financial compensation or refund might have been in order.

Here's my question: should audiogon define a 'warranty' period that goes along with used sales? Even just 10 days or something like that? It really would stink to get a piece of gear, use it for a week, and have it die. But according to the policy that the seller is responsible only in cases of DOA, the buyer would have to front the whole bill for something like that. Having a specifically defined warranty period (which would, and should be quite short) might avoid a lot of potential conflict. Thoughts?
lousyreeds1
This site makes it possible for individuals to purchase equipment that is normally in very good to excellent condition from sellers with excellent track records for between 50-60% off of retail. What more can you possibly ask for. We all benefit. I am extremely greatful that this site exists to make this all possible. Thanks Audiogon. A warranty as part of the deal should not be standard policy. As pointed out above, if anyone wants a warranty, they can buy new and pay the price. If the item arrives as described, the transaction is complete. End of story.
One of the reasons used equipment exchanges hands at such marked down prices is that both buyer and seller have increased risks in transacting the deal. Add the Internet to the equation and the fact that deals often occur without a verbal interchange, and the risks become greater still.
There are basic steps that you can take to mitigate the risk, but at the end of the day it's always going to be a risk. If you can't accept these risks, buy from a retailer...problem solved (maybe :)
"Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances."

If you want high end gear at Best Buy prices, you're going to have to take some risks. To me, the risks are preferrable to paying retail.

I think Audiogon (the entity) best serves by being a relatively silent observer. We seem to be doing pretty darn well being left to our own devices. Additional rules and intervention on the part of the entity would only complicate matters and befowl the trusting atmosphere that has evolved here. Just my $0.02