Apple or PC?

I am in the market for a notebook computer to use for University. I will be using it for research, writing papers (word/excel), sometimes taking notes in class, music, some photo editing, the odd DVD on trips, and internet surfing. It must be around a 12" and under 5 pounds with good battery life. I have been reading and it's my understanding mac OS X is a more stable operating system and that it is more secure from spy-ware and virusus. They also have 128Bit enscryption I hear as well. The powerbook 12" model looks perfect for my needs but my buddy who is a computer guru says macs are only good for photo editing and I will run into compatibility issues with the mac becasue they dont use a system registry or something like that. What should I do?
slov_dream
A recent article in Macworld indicated that there have been more than ~160,000 viruses written for Windows and only ~60-70 for Macs. I use both platforms at work, but I highly prefer OSX because of its stability.
Apple it is...security wise, I heard apple is better...they use a standard 128bit enscryption, is this true? Also, Security is a BIG thing for me and I always like to take it one step further in protecting my information, what programs are out there that can protect me from the best of hackers (government) harnessing into my computer and spying?
Looks like the Mac heads have spoken; they're always really vocal about the Macs' advantages. I might be a little biased, being an Apple dealer, but our customers are happy, well adjusted people who don't freak out every time a new virus makes the rounds or drives are getting hacked from network connections. When's the last time you heard someone say that they just love their Dell?
Use PC's at work, but been a Mac user at home since '94. On my 3rd PowerBook - great machine/OS. For the needs you describe, get a Mac and don't look back. You'll be very, very happy with it.
Even though there are hordes of viruses for Windows programs floating around, the Apple software is actually more vulnerable in terms of holes in the operating system. If someone wanted to be really malicious and write viruses suited to each type of operating system, it would be easier for them to "destroy" an Apple computer than it would for them to "whack up" a fully updated Windows based PC system. This doesn't happen very often though because those that are writing viruses are trying to attack the most computers that they can at one time. Given that Mac's are but a very small percentage of all computers sold and operated for personal use, they are basically overlooked by the hackers and malicious malcontents.

Having said that, the other folks have pointed out the lack of compatability of software with a Mac based system. Depending on your specific needs, this may or may not be important to you. If it isn't important, and with all of the above in mind, i would probably go with a Mac if looking for a laptop. Everyone i know with a Mac laptop is happy with it whereas most with Windows based PC's want to hit their with a hammer, regardless of make or model. Sean
>