What's on your reading list?

What do you plan to read this summer? What are you reading now?
I am currently reading "Degrees Kelvin" by David Lindley, published by Joseph Henry Press. The biography of Sir William Thomson, Lord Kelvin. He was a 19th century physicist probably best known for dicsovering the temperature at which atoms cease to move: -273.15 degrees Celsius (0 degrees Kelvin or absolute zero). He also performed a lot of the early groundwork for theories of electromagnetism and thermodynamics. Lord Kelvin devised a new compass for ships that would work well when surrounded by steel as the world's ship building began to move from wooden to iron vessels. A fascinating figure from history.
slipknot1
Jax is (was 3/6/90 - 6/9/03) the same breed as Petey! Pete the pup was the first dual-registered Amstaff/Pit Bull. Acorging to Ripley's Believe it or Not, the original Petey did have a black circular ring around one of his eyes. The ones that followed in his paw prints had the circle painted in by the talented SFX crew! Those dogs are amazing, wonderful and devoted creatures! It's a great shame that people use them for less than noble purposes. Careless breeding and poor training makes things much worse. Hey, kind of like you and me, eh, Dean!?

I ain't no Wheezer, I'm the Boogie Man!

Thanks, but God created those shadows in my back yard. I just had the dogs sit there and photographed them. They were huntin' pussy at the time, and used those masks get'sum! That image ran as an Avanti Press card for five years. The birthday card has been running for over ten years and is still available. It was with Avanti Press for five and now is sold through my stock agency, Graphistock.

Marco
Crazy4blues, I agree. DaVinci Code was a real letdown but taking a side trail, I read a The Templar Revelation, which while a bit heavy-handed, is a thought-provoking read (check the Amazon reviews for more).

Rhyno, in the same market vein, I would recommend "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Taleb (and if professionally interested in the subject and derivatives, his earlier "Dynamic Hedging" is among the best out there). I disliked Niederhoffer's "Education of a Speculator" so much that while I will normally read new books in the genre, I have avoided PS. In a less 'practical' vein, I heartily recommend "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" by Edwin Lefevre. I make it a point to read it every year or so. I'm waiting on his "Sampson Rock" now.

For the several people who enjoy detective novels, two European detective writers (as hard-boiled but less flashy than Vachss) I like very much are Michael Dibdin and Ian Rankin.

For the next month or so, I have both of the above-mentioned Steingarten books and "1421: The Year China Discovered the World" waiting for me.
Crazy4blues,

You make a great points about Dan Brown's books. Angels and Demons and DaVinci Code seemed like they were created from the exact same template, just change the location and the names and the title. Even though they can get very over the top and are based on very shakey history, I still got sucked into them.

And the luscious female Italian physicist from Angels and Demons? You forget, she was a master yogi too! Heheh.
Gunbei: Yeah, I can see it now: The movie will star Harrison Ford and Angelina Jolie. I'm taking bets!
t_bone

the fact that you heartily recommend one of my all time faves, "stock operator", and equally deride neiderhoffer as i do (i finished PS, my review is on amazon, and it was none too kind!), well lets just say i'll be picking up Fooled by Randomness. thanks!

rhyno