Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, I wracked my brain (not hard to do) and I don't recall you mentioning Carmen McRae. I know that's got to be wrong; just checking.

Learsfool, "Blue Train" is my number one train, along with my 101 train. I like your list, and most of those CD's are in my collection.

Frogman, New York Voices do a real nice vocal of "Stolen Moments" from "Blues And The Abstract Truth". I go to sleep on "Clifford Brown With Strings", and dream about Nancy Wilson With Cannonball Adderly. Anything on your list that I don't have, I will certainly give it a listen.

Rok, Dee Dee Bridgewater is truly smokin on that CD, her voice becomes another jazz musical instrument.

Gz3827, "Prime Cuts" is a CD that had been hiding in my collection until just recently, it's fantastic.

Acman3, New Tijuana Moods is an old favorite of mine. I've been a Mingus fan since "Mingus Ah Um". I was attracted to the album cover.

Pnmeyer, I have 5 of the CD's on your list, and it's for sure I'll give the ones I don't have a listen.

Enjoy the music.
A lot lot of the obvious ones have been mentioned, but I want to give a shout out for some of those

Sonny Rollins Way Out West, Saxophone Colossus, Tenor Madness
Bill Evans Waltz for Debbie, Sunday at the Village Vanguard
John Coltrane Ballads
Miles Davis Kind of Blue (Kind of a Given)

and some less obvious ones

The Poll Winners Shelley Manne, Ray Brown, Barney Kesel
Paul Motion I Have A Room Above Her
Sonny Rollins Without a Song
Jelly Roll Morton Birth of the Hot - Red Hot Peppers
Art Pepper + Eleven
Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane at Carnegie Hall
Kid Ory Anything you can find - I only have vinyl
Art Blakey The Jazz Messengers
Oscar Petterson Night Train ( and so many more)
Jazz at Massey Hall Bud Powell, Dizzie Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Max Roach
O-10: I mentioned Carmen several threads ago. I have 5 or 6 of her CDs. One with duets with Betty Carter. Great voice. What are her somecomings? Not a thing!! Except having the same profession as Ella, Billie and Sarah. :( I have a CD of her's entitled 'Carmen Sings Monk'. Most folks can't even play Monk (including his band) and she SINGS him. She is great on the Monk CD. Top 5 for that alone. :) All the divas are just treasures. I love them all.

Dtc: I have most of what you listed. All must haves. I have a few of Kid Ory waiting in the Amazon 'save for later' file. I was concerned about the sound quality, But I'll take your word for it. Not having Ory, is almost like not having Armstrong! Charlie Parker played a borrowed plastic sax on the Massey Hall CD. hahahahaha

Cheers
Just as I was about to anoint Lee Morgan King of Jazz trumpet, I put 'Sketches of Spain' by Miles Davis in the player. Order is now restored. I sat there mesmerized. One of Miles' Best ever.

Mingus at Antibes
I almost called 911. These guys are on fire. I don't think even they could do it again. The perfect storm. Now, this is improvised music at the highest level.
They were really out there, BUT they always had both feet firmly planted in the delta. One foot in a Juke Joint, and the other in a Baptist church! That's the difference between this improvising and this modern free Jazz stuff. The current stuff sounds sterile in comparison. Ain't got it? Git It!

Cheers