System for a teenager

I need advice to build a system for one of my sons school mates and his father. I have been advised to keep budget as low as possible but strive for quality sound.

My idea is buy used gear here at Audiogon starting with 2 series Vandersteen's, DVD-CD player with volume control and moderate power tube amps.

Would especially appreciate ideas for the DVD-CD with volume control and ideas for moderate power tube amps.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
Albert, sorry I scanned your last post too fast, and I didn't read that your friends requested tubes. IMHO, the Vandy 2's could use a bit of power. I know Vandersteen recommends a minimum of 40 watts, but, I think some where between 80 and 100 would be much better. I would also avoid some of the "classic tube sound" amps like c-j and Quicksilver. These speakers are already on the warm, flabby side. Mind you, I love them, and think they are one of the best values in audio ever. They don't have the best reputation for reliability, but, the Counterpoint stuff always worked well with Vandersteen. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck.
"Albert":

Getting a tube amp for a teenager to use, especially with Vandersteen 2s??? I don't know about that. I think that's like committing suicide if you ask me. His old man??? Well.... that's a different story. If this kid is anything like I was when I was a kid (though he may listen to rock..... when I was his age, my thing was the latest uptempo R&B jams that was out at the time, and later on.... Rap and Hip-Hop..... and in both cases, they involved plenty of dynamics and lots (and I do mean LOTS) of deep bass, and I wanted it VERY loud....... and given those three variables and parameters, I don't see anyway in hell as to how a tube amp fits into that equation), then I don't think that a tube amp should fit into his plans. The Vandersteens are fine (because due to their full range response, they're ideal for rock and roll, R&B, and Rap/Hip-Hop), but for a teenager, I would mate the Vandersteens to a 100W s/s amp instead (and a used amp would do for a kid..... and I wouldn't get anything terribly expensive either). Get a decent CD player, and he should end up with a pretty damn nice system if I don't say so myself. It would be a hell of a lot better than what I had when I was a kid.

Now for his old man on the other hand, if he likes the Vandersteens as well, I would say go for it. I can see using tubes for his system and all. And in that case, I would look for a used Counterpoint hybrid just like "Unsound" has suggested. I would also look for a Audio Research or "conrad-johnson" model in the 60W to 85W range. I would top his system off with a with a decent DVD/CD/SACD player.

I'm sorry if I wasn't that much helpful here, but I tried anyway.

Good Luck, Albert!!!! I am going to leave you on your own on this one.

--Charles--
OK, I just had some fun "shopping":

Meadowlark Vireo Hot Rod supurb, obm, black, warranty
Asking $595.00 obo
(this is an AWESOME sounding full range monitor, with front ported bass so it can be placed against a wall; I liked this model better than their next higher up model, the Kestrel I think)

Golden Tube Audio SE-85 (6SN7 and EL34 -- love those tubes)
Asking $600.00 obo

Nordost Solar Wind, RCA 1m, pics
Asking $70.00 obo

TARA QUANTUM III SPEAKER CABLE
Asking $85.00 obo

Adcom GCD-575 (variable and fixed output )
Asking $140.00 obo
New Retail $575.00

Good Luck Albert.
Dave was out of town on business, the teenager was ready to go the first moment.

I insisted they read these ideas, and view some photographs of the equipment before dropping the cash. It's difficult to help friends who don't share our knowledge. Neither the father or the son has heard of any of these brands names.