System for a teenager

I need advice to build a system for one of my sons school mates and his father. I have been advised to keep budget as low as possible but strive for quality sound.

My idea is buy used gear here at Audiogon starting with 2 series Vandersteen's, DVD-CD player with volume control and moderate power tube amps.

Would especially appreciate ideas for the DVD-CD with volume control and ideas for moderate power tube amps.
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xalbertporter
Not knowing these individuals, but taking the teenager into account, I would probably favor auto-biasing desings for the amps, or at least amps that don't require a multimeter. Getting your ears on and learning to take care of equipment (let alone tubes) can take time, no sense in adding too much too soon.

Why a DVD/CD with volume control instead of a tube integrated plus DVD/CD? Rogue Tempest or any of a number of ASL or Jolida integrateds would fit the bill and be quite affordable. Seperates will cost more and add IC requirements (which is not just cost but matching).

I think this is the first time in any thread I've ever advocated an integrated.
I may have to do exactly as you suggest. Robert and his father had hoped for remote control. A player with volume was the only economical way I could think of to achieve that goal without exceeding budget.
Albert, I agree with looking for an integrated amp. How much power does the Vandersteen's need? The Audio Refinement Complete is a nice little 50 watt integrated amp. It is made by YBA. It has a remote control which also controls the selection of the component inputs, as well as volume.

Other low cost integrated amps with remotes are Cambridge Audio and Creek. They both also have optional internal phono stages that can be added for like $50.

You may also be able to get Gilbert Yeung of Blue Circle to add to his CS Integrated Amp, the optional remote volume control he offers with his BC21.1 preamp.
I second (third) the integrated idea. Assuming tubes will NOT trigger adolescent curiosity to "check out how these work"... (think of the heat & the voltages), Croft makes a reasonably priced integrated (Chameleon? $~1300 new) with MM phono I think -- but no remote, unfortunately.
Admittedly, it's difficult to surpass the price/quality of Sugar's Audio Refinement. Another ss integrated that has prodigious driving power (for its size & price tag, of course) is the Symphonic Line (#9# I think). Maybe Odyssey could propose a used one. That should easily drive the Vandersteens & it sounds good too.
Albert, what is the budget they gave you to work with? Sounds like the speakers are a "given" and you want to add amp and front end. Would the young man be interested in a budget analog rig too?