at home has unplugged its network

like millions of others, i've been using a cable modem hooked up to the @home network. the bankruptcy judge overseeing @home's chapt. 11 case has allowed it to cancel its contracts with providers such as at&t, effectively unplugging those companies' subscribers from internet connectivity. i'm hoping that this will be a quite temporary problem, but have no idea yet how long i'll be down. in the meantime, if anyone needs to reach me, please use my "business" address: [email protected]. thanks.

-cfb
cornfedboy
The connection in Chicago is down. I'm currently on my traveling AOL account. What a pain. DSL, here I come.

David Shapiro
here's a story from today's denver post that details, more or less, what's going on in colorado. it ain't pretty.

http://www.denverpost.com/Stories/0,1002,33%257E248996,00.html

-cfb
Sunday morning 11:15 am--At Home still up and running in DC area. But from the Denver and Chicago posters above, looks like the unplugging is moving east slowly but surely. I called this morning for my DSL service, waiting time is 2-3 weeks. . . Plus I'll have to change my email address, which formerly was SO easy to remember ([email protected]). Sob. I was so attached to my cable modem service, it was really FAST. Does anyone know, is DSL just as fast? My cable service was basically instantaneous unless 6 billion other users were also online. I'm checking the paper and the web news regularly, but so far I don't know if my local cable provider has been able to work out some temporary deal w/Excite to prevent unplugging.
Sarah
re DSL. I have had DSL at home for a few years and use a cable modem at my apartment close to a work location. On average, I have found the DSL line about the same or faster. At best the cable modem is noticably but not really practicaly faster. The actual average speed depends on the physical configuration from your house to the equipment cage and what else between you and the cage is connected in to it. My DSL line from Pacbell, now SBC, has been very reliable. However, I'm very close to the equipment location, the connection to the internet backbone is also close by and the neighborhood was physically rewired about 10 years ago. So, I have pretty much optimal DSL service.
latest report is that nearly 300,000 users have been moved to att&t's new metork, none in colorado. unfortunately, @home email is unretreviable, as are address books and home page configurations. -cfb