A question concerning ethics

Should business professionals related to the audio field be required to register as such when joining Audiogon or making public posts ? I am talking about those that are involved with manufacturing / marketing / advertising / wholesaling / retailing, etc... audio gear or audio related accessories. After all, if someone is "raving" or "bad-mouthing" a product or product line, i want to know if they are simply a "joe average" end user / consumer or if they have something to gain by promoting or slagging specific products. Would this be out of line in your opinion ?

Obviously, this would be done on the honor system since anybody can make comments with total anonymity and thicken their wallets or take pot-shots at their competition. The fact that MANY that post here have made their affiliations clear only adds credibility to their posts since they were willing to be up-front and honest to begin with. Those that "string along the crowd" can only expect complete distrust once they are found out. I am not going to name names here, but i think that a few of the guilty parties will know who i'm talking about. Sean
>
sean
Folks, i can't take credit for such an idea. It has already been implemented in other forums as i mentioned. As such, let's call it "liberal borrowing of ideas" : )

As to the comments that Angela 100 made, i see nothing differentiating any "average joe" from an audio based professional in any way. The only thing that i see that is different is the "bio" for "panelists". The only other thing that i do see is the type of membership, which in most cases states "private member". From information that has recently surfaced in various threads and via private emails, i KNOW that the trust of many "regulars" here has been abused by those with outside motives. This is what brought my attention to the situation.

Since this has been happening, how do you propose that we deal with the situation, go about correcting it and then taking steps to prevent it from happening in the future ? While comments are always welcome, how about some constructive plans ? Working as a group can surely provide better coverage than what just a few minds would come up with. Sean
>
good question, sean. i think what we're all wary of are anonymous posters who try to appear as "enthusiasts" but are, in fact, connected economically to an undisclosed industry member, dealer, etc. most of the time, these guys get outed by the many skeptics who populate this pub. but not always. i would favor audiogon's requiring EVERY poster to register. i would likewise favor audiogon's implementation of a simple user designation, such as that employed at audio asylum. finally, i would favor the suspension or banning of anyone who tries to "outfox" the designation system by posing as someone whom he/she is not. -cfb
Ditto to all. I'd add that unconfirmed folks should have a "?" attached to make the risk clear.

In one of my recent posts, it was difficult to gauge whether a non-member (and non-members are very welcome) was really who he claimed to be since all his posts were only around one topic and he seemed to consistently praise one product. But, he publicly asserted he was a disinterested party. It would truly have helped to have a designation scheme in that case. How does anyone apply this to non-members? Any ideas?
Isn't this an admission, of sorts, that most of us are merely susceptible pawns of audio hype and we need someone to protect us? I don't care who's propping a product; if you don't have sense enough to be discriminating, you'll be parted from your money one way or another. The numerous "Okay, need advice on the best XXXXXX..." is proof of that. Many dealers can't hear either. Their new wonder product may be - to them - as good as the world-reknown equivalent cost five times more.

This consumer just doesn't see the need.