A question concerning ethics

Should business professionals related to the audio field be required to register as such when joining Audiogon or making public posts ? I am talking about those that are involved with manufacturing / marketing / advertising / wholesaling / retailing, etc... audio gear or audio related accessories. After all, if someone is "raving" or "bad-mouthing" a product or product line, i want to know if they are simply a "joe average" end user / consumer or if they have something to gain by promoting or slagging specific products. Would this be out of line in your opinion ?

Obviously, this would be done on the honor system since anybody can make comments with total anonymity and thicken their wallets or take pot-shots at their competition. The fact that MANY that post here have made their affiliations clear only adds credibility to their posts since they were willing to be up-front and honest to begin with. Those that "string along the crowd" can only expect complete distrust once they are found out. I am not going to name names here, but i think that a few of the guilty parties will know who i'm talking about. Sean
>
sean
Yes, Sean I think you are right. Anyone with a financial interest in the product or related products being discussed should reveal that financial interest in the course of making comments. And I would hope that anyone who finds out that some reviewer has been posing as disinterested when they are in fact interested would expose the culprit for the benefit of the rest of us. And kudos to those who do admit their financial interests up front.
I too think it's a good idea. Also because it will prevent us from being too hasty on the uptake for "financially interested parties". After all, there may be people posting who are genuinely enthousiastic about a piece... (or am I too naive?)
Cheers!
Sean's point is very well taken. Without wanting to sound patronizing, I think newcomers would and should profit most from Sean's idea. If you have moved around Audiogon for while (like me ), I suppose you'll soon find out who to take seriously and to respect and who - to use this nice old Brits phrase - is talking through his hat! Cheers,
I thought that this was already in place - the designation between enthusiast guy and industry guy.
I just checked, it is visible if you click on the poster's name - are you suggesting that it be "part" of our names as we post? like, Sean-Enthusist

I think that it's good for the professionals as well. I mean how many times do they need to explain WHO they are before they post? That could get tiresome, so then they think everyone knows who they are by now, and someone new reads a later post without the long disclaimer and crys "foul".
I would think that they would welcome it.
I agree it should be disclosed or registered as such. If you click on a "business user" you should find out what business they are involved in (manufacturer, dealer, and the name of the company). However, the people that post statements that they have a financial interest in, and don't disclose it, are likely to avoid registering as a business (or person linked to a business). Most people I feel are pretty honest and disclose these things in their post--catching the few that do not is desirable, but I'm not sure it's very practical.