Macintosh - Mac Mini aficionados please help

I'm thinking about purchasing a mac mini for my wife's system. One of her favorite websites is gamerival.com. Can somebody please tell me if this site is compatible with the mac. If it's not, then I'm going to have to look elsewhere for a small and quit system. I've been wanting to try a mac for some time and this gives me a reason to jump over the windows XP fence and see what's on the other side.

Thanks,
prpixel
The G5 iMac is VESA-compatible, hoist away. I use a couple Logitech USB mice, 2 buttons plus scroll wheel, without anything like a driver install. Plug it in, wait one second, use it like it's always been there. The only thing your keyboard might not support is the CD-eject button.

I've never seen much value to the buyer for used machines. Buying a refurb direct from Apple is different. Exact same warranty, a couple bills cheaper. As you already have the 20" LCD and speed doesn't seem to be a deciding factor (i.e. 3D games, A/V intensive stuff), I'd go with the Mini myself. (Pooljam plays fine on my Mac as well)
Ordered the Mini today. I ended up spending more than I wanted to (more memory, superdrive,wireless). It should be here in two to three weeks.

Gunbei,

I'll let you now how it compares to Windows XP after I play around with it for a weeks or two. Now, I have to order a "Mac for dummies" book.
PrPixel,

I've found many of those "Dummies" books to be quite good. That obviously reveals my level of learning and problem solving. Heheh.

Getting the SuperDrive was a good move. It will allow you to burn DVDs, something a ComboDrive won't.

Your MacMini should come with iLife which will include iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, GarageBand and iPhoto. Using that free stuff I am able to create DVDs with menus and chapter indexing on my Cube from my Tivo content. It's great for saving all those documentaries I love!

Have fun!
Gunbei,

I never thought of transfering content from my Tivo to the mini. I already have the Tivo hooked up to the cable modem using wifi. A friend transfered content from his Tivo to his PC; said it was a long and invlolved process.

Later,
PrPixel,

Your friend probably removed his Tivo hard drive and placed it in one of the bays of his PC, then used 3rd party software to make the transfer. There are some similar hacks for the Mac, but they involve going root and getting into the Unix terminal.

I use a little box called the Canopus ADVC100 which takes the analog output of the Tivo and has a codec for translating it into digital. From there, it's a Firewire hookup to my Apple Cube right into iMovie. I stitch everything together, set the chapter indeces[?], find some nice frame grabs for the DVD menu, then transfer it to iDVD and finish the DVD. Have a look at it here:

http://www.canopus.us/US/products/ADVC-100/pm_advc-100.asp

I've compared the Tivo/iDVDs I've made on my Mac against the original digital video on my Tivo and it's very acceptable. The loss in sharpness is 5% at the most. There is a noticeable loss in overall color saturation, but if you don't compare them side by side, it almost doesn't matter.

It's a really nice little unit and the audio and video never get out of sync like some of the other similar boxes.

Something to look into maybe? Heheh

Dean