In Dash CD Players R.I.P.?

In another thread, I alluded to my disappointment in my iPod while driving my motorcyle today.

In the hopeful event that this technology gets much better, do you think CD players for the car might die an untimely death?

With the whole world moving to lousy MP3, it seems that major markets would be more than satisfied by just about anything that held 50 million crappy songs, in their car, their cell phone, the ignition key to their car, a kleenex or something.

I was so bummed on my commute today that I began to fantasize about my old Porsche and Nakamich CD-400, but then wondered if it would go the way of the dinosaur.

What do you think?
cwlondon
Ultraviolet:

Regarding lossless files, you are correct that they are perfect match bit-for-bit to original wav file, but there is a catch.

The player for each lossless file type could sound quite different depending SW configuration and etc. For example, foobar2000 will generally sound better than WMP if using ASIO or kernel streaming. Bypassing Windows' internal mixer is always a good thing because it will bypass a resampling step from 44.1kHz to 48kHz.

Eric
Clbeanz, actually it's the cars with the women and kids that run ME off the road. Why is it they never look left before deciding to plow in front of me? Heheh. I really like the Honda Pilot. That may be my next lease.

CWlondon, I can definitely relate to your longing for your old Porsche and the Nak CD player. Let me guess, '87, '88 Carrera? Great car! And I greatly prefer the aesthetics of the CD players of the late '80s and early '90s. Simpler, less flashy like the Alpine I once used around that time. I sometimes miss the Blaupunkt 2001 cassette deck I had in the late '70s. Nice looking and had a great tune for the time.
USMC could pull out of Iraq and send in the 'SMSDWKOMV' force...
Soccer Moms Suburban Drivers With Kids On Multiple Ventis. even w/o a cellphone,the deadliest killing machine on earth.
8^))