speaker specs & room matching

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to use speaker specs as a guide to room compatability. Is the rooms volume a starting point? Is it the distance from speaker to listener (at vertex). Is this all vis a vis a -3db, -6db , ect, of the speakers measured low frequency response? Or something different all together?
unsound
It's a complex issue (because you must take bass response smoothness into account), but basically it's small speakers for a small room, and large speakers for a large room. A small room will allow the most bass extension and dynamic contrasts from a small monitor speaker, and a large room must have larger speakers to energize it's volume.
Thanks you Carl_eber for your prompt reply. Can you be more specific. I believe we can smooth out much of the bass irregularities with room treatment, but it is more difficult to remove overloaded bass. We all want as much deep clean bass as possible but too much may be worse than too little. Besides, good basss extension usually doesn't come cheap. A general guide would go a long way to maximize our audio budgets. Thanks Again Siem
You might peruse The Complete Guide to Highend Audio. All I know is, it's not as easy as you say to get smooth and accurate bass, deep or not, that has a fast room modal decay time (try a good test CD, and it'll be obvious). I prefer using a high quality subwoofer or two, in an "augmented" configuration, where you can adjust low pass crossover frequency, level, and especially continuously variable phase. This type of system is always going to be better in the bass than a standard "fullrange" system. Besides, all the world class $50,000 plus systems have some provision for this anyway, because they know you can't have ultimate performance without it. Integration isn't a problem, you just have to spend a little time with it.