"Room Correction" what the H..?

My Behringer 2496 equalizer has an automatic equalization capability, using a calibrated mic. One option when performing the Auto Eq process is somthing called "Room Correction". To quote the owner's manual this "cuts the high frequencies and boosts the low frequency range by "tilting" the desired response curve by 1 dB/oct". There is no further explanation.

This is a very gradual tilt that extends uniformly over the full 20 - 20KHz range. I rather like the result, but wonder about the basis for this equalization. Is it some commonly used aspect of pro sound reenforcement that I as a lowly audiophile have never heard about?
eldartford
That does seem like a strange "room correction". It assumes that rooms are bright and have linearly poor bass response, which is a very strange assumption. Bass issues usually peak or drop off at irregular intervals dependent on the room characteristics (e.g., dimensions). The calibrated mic is a good idea since it should pick up the uneven responses, but the 1db/octave linear boost of bass does not seem to be a room correction factor; it seems to be an equipment correction or personal preference adjustment.
I know this is a years late response but in contemporary PA systems the drivers are extremely directional, thereby creating a percieved extra brightness above 4kHz. How this relates to "room correction" re. Behringer I don't know, but it's a common practice in the PA world to taper the midrange and highs somewhat. It has to do with the compensations necessary to allow audiences near and far from the stage to hear sound almost at the same time...