SPL meter recommendation

I don't own a handheld SPL meter and would like to get one. The only one we ever seem to read about is a Radio Shack model that's nice and cheap, but is always referred to as being not that accurate. (From what I can tell, it may not even come with any type of calibration disk, but I'm not sure about that). Without going crazy expensive, are there any up-a-level alternatives out there that might give even better results and come equipped with diagnostic tools? Or is there nothing in between the RS and full-on pro-caliber or remote-mic jobs?
zaikesman
Indirectly related; Rives Audio, an Audiogon dealer, recently auctioned off 40 system/room testing CD-Rs with test tones that are specifically calibrated for the analog Radio Shack SPL meter. I bid and got one for adjusting the bass controls on my Vandersteen 5 speakers, but haven't used it yet-- seems like an excellent idea though, and would have many in-room acoustic uses. If interested, Rives may be selling these routinely too. Cheers. Craig
........it seems Lak and I were posting at the same time. Do great minds run along similar lines?;>). Craig