Coltrane. Can we talk?

Can we talk about John Coltrane for a second? Does he kill anyone else or is it just me? I've been on a Coltrane binge for the last seven months and have listened to little else. Whomever sent this guy down here in the first place must have missed him to take him back so fast but HELLO! Do we love him or what?
kublakhan
Hey, Kublakahn: One of the many jazz videos that I own has a short bit about the Church of St. John Coltrane. You were absolutely correct that the members of the church are serious in their beliefs. They feature 'Trane's music as a central element of their faith -- I've thought from time to time that I'd love to attend one of their services. (Probably a hell of a lot more moving for me than listening to a sermon...). 'Trane's early music, when he was playing with Miles, is probably the best place for newbies to start "stretchin' their ears". Then move on to "Giant Steps", followed by "A Love Supreme". I have never seen the recording of the 3-hour French concert available as a release, but I heard it WAS recorded. Another fine example of 'Trane and Miles Davis is the joint recording of their concert recording "In Stockholm", done in 1961 (or maybe 1962) on a Swedish recording label. Good stuff!!
I bought the Prestige box set before I knew Coltranes music and well before I was ready for it. Somehow I knew I was gonna be into one day. As stated above it hits you and that's it - you understand. This is, as stated so well by Sdcampbell and Khublakhan, a result of his absolute dedication and investment in the music. It's impossible not for me to hear this now in his playing, and his later stuff " A Love Supreme" etc...requires the same conviction from the listener. Excellent advice above also on how to enter into Coltranes world. Primal, elemental, beautiful.
Well I won't pretend to have assimilated Trane's work to the extent that some here have. I have only ten or so Coltrane out of a couple hundred jazz CD's. One of my favorites is a two disc set containing the complete Coltrane / Wilbur Harden recordings. The music is not as innovative as some of Coltrane's work (which is what may make it difficult for rookies to appreciate), but it is inventive and rewarding.
Just to round out my earlier post, there are two other Coltrane recordings that are good starting points for those who are becoming acquainted with 'Trane's music: his album titled "My Favorite Things" (where he made use of the modal style), and an album that he did with jazz vocalist Johnny Hartman (very rich, baritone voice). For those who want to learn a bit more about Coltrane, I recommend a jazz textbook by Mark Gridley titled: "Jazz Styles: History and Analysis". Gridley devotes an 18-page chapter to Coltrane, tracing his musical development and styles, and discussing the great quartet that he led. The book should be available in many college libraries and large public libraries.
I gotta chime in here one last time. I just bought a coltrane cd i'd never seen before: "Live at the half note" - it is really f*king weird. if you are a coltrane freak like i am you need to get this. from a 1963 session. the first few notes coltrane hits are seriously out-of-key and even draw laughter from the audience. he then goes on to stumble through a version of 'i want to talk about you' like i've never heard before. he starts hitting some marks and wins the audience over by the end and gets some hoots and hollars. by the middle of his next 'brazilia' coltrane's already out of his mind. if you know coltrane you'll recognize this as a very interesting set for the time. 'i want to talk about you' 'brazilia' 'song of praise' 'one up, one down' - this is a little gem and a must have if you are a fan of the man. not the greatest sound - very tinny and seems to be recorded from an LP - but eh, who cares? i picked it up at tower for $7!