Classical Audiophiles Rejoice!

The audio quality of recordings now available has recently made huge gains with various remastering techniques used by major labels to greatest recordings in their past catalog, and released at mid price! EMI "great recordings of century" uses ART (Abbey Rd tech.), DG uses original image bit processing, Sony uses SBM (superior bit mapping), RCA "living stereo" uses UV22 super CD encoding, DECCA "legends" uses 24bit/96khz digital transfers, etc etc. Even budget lines like Naxos have very good sound! For example I am now listening to Mahler 2nd Sym EMI label Klemperer/Schwarzkopf remastered using ART. I had original CD, and sound was average at best for 1963 recording. What a transformation now, huge gains in every dept.....much larger gain than a Gold CD gives to average recording. Mahler 2 on one CD, mid price, excellent sound quality, great performance with SCHWARZKOPF! Some of the RCA remasters from late 1950s are better than any recordings made today! Any other comments on this subject.......
128x128megasam
Kurtis, it is good to hear that you appreciate fine music, and I apologize for offending your software sensibilities regarding vinyl. For what it's worth, I too enjoy CD playback, have many RR and Naxos titles. So perhaps you assume too much in that area. Look, I'm happy that you've spent so much money, and that you have a decent CD player. Mine is perhaps better, and yes, I agree that it is good to be able to buy any title you might want in whatever format you want. Unfortunately, you can NOT buy every title you want in a SINGLE format. And as far as the reissues Albert and I are speaking of goes, you need to educate yourself more, before you speak out about them................And Albert, thanks again for shedding light in this area. Also, very thoughtful of you to point out that I was merely responding to Megasam's suggestion, afterall.
Guys, although you are correct RCA vinyl from late 50s, especially Reiner/Chicago, is fabulous, I was refering to RCA "living Stereo" CD remasters from that period which are also mainly Reiner/Chicago and some sound as good as any classical CD orchestra recordings made today using current state of the art recording techniques. Unfortunately only limited selection currently available. Kurtis that Berkshire CD site has tons of smaller label catalogs at really low Naxos range prices, I'm sure many of them are quite well recorded.....so many CDs, so little time. And regarding the CD/Vinyl format comparisons, the single most important advantage CD has which I never hear anyone mention is the ability to program tracks. I can think of very few albums where I want to hear all tracks, CD allows programing of tracks, eliminates flipping over record, don't have to clean record each time to play etc. My Linn LP12 front end became too much work, and although it had qualities I miss, I went digital now I have more time to relax and enjoy the music...regards Sam
Megasam, You could also add that with CD, you can enjoy the entire performance, without interruption. In that sense, CD can present the performance as you would enjoy it live, where LP requires a break to turn over or even change discs. For those of us that at LP junkies, it is a frustrating problem.
I have 9 of the 10 Apogee remastered Living Stereo CD's, and I do like them very much, but the fidelity doesn't compare to even the 33 rpm vinly reissues...much less the 45 rpm ones. I do appreciate the convenience of CD. Again, that's why I enjoy both.
Albert have you heard the story that when Phillips NV was deciding what size to make Cds, Karajan told them it should be big enough to hold entire performance of beethoven 9th uninterrupted, so that is how they came up with current size disc......Carl you are true audiophile, do you have any money left over for any other hobbies, hehehe....regards Sam