Classical fans, I need advice

I need a bit of advice. I've been listening to sample classical recordings (from tower records and amazon) for over 3 months trying to find a place to start. My interest began when I first became entranced by Alison Krauss + Union Station and Nickel Creek. I've gained a new appreciation for classical styles and the violin (fiddle?) in particular.

I listened to: Hilary Hahn - Bach: Violin Concertos on Deutsche Grammophon and enjoyed it. It wasn't too pretty, nor too symphonic. It's intimate and large at the same time. Maybe not quite as romantic as I might prefer but I honestly cannot say without hearing more. Keep in mind I'm not describing the performance here just the music. I'm thinking I will take the plunge with this Hybrid SACD.

Based on this can I be "profiled" and perhaps pointed in a direction? I know these works come from the Baroque period. I also read this in an amazon review "Shortly after Bach's time, the structure of a concerto changed from an ensemble piece for chamber musicians to a piece for soloist and full orchestra. Hence many recordings of these pieces are done by 'name' soloists and 'name' orchestras and lose their intimacy in the process. This recording does not; kudos to DG and Hahn for the choice of the thoroughly musical and consummately professional Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra for this disc." I really don't know if this is significant to my enjoyment of what i've heard but I thought I should mention it.

A few other notes about myself. Sound quality is of extreme importance to me. I simply cannot enjoy music on poor recordings. Something else, I really like the song from the Lord of the Rings soundtrack titled "Concerning Hobbits" composed by Howard Shore and performed by the New Zealand S.O. Again I'm not sure if this points me to a specific classical style or period but I figured I would mention it.

Any comments are appreciated
Vedric
vedric
Schubertmaniac--I'm familiar with Kennedy but I don't have any of his CDs. From what I've read, one would actually have to see him in a performance to realize he's, as you say, a "bad boy"---rather unconventional in concert attire, to say the least. In re: Koechlin--- I have his "The Bandor-Log", from "The Jungle Book", on a CD sampler---Delos label I think (?). Thanks for mentioning him! I have now listened to several bits of his on Tower Records' website and rest assured I will be buying some of his music very soon. I don't know why I've never listened before, because he's from the same school as Auric, Poulenc, Milhaud, Satie, etc., all of whom I enjoy. BTW---as a "Schubert maniac", I'm sure you're familiar with his Piano Trio in E Flat Major. I was particularly taken by Kubrick's use of the second movement in one of the formal garden scenes from his movie "Barry Lyndon". I'm not sure who did the soundtrack performance, but The Florestan Trio's performance on a Hyperion CD is as good as it gets, IMHO.

Vedric-- I agree with you regarding Nickel Creek's two CDs. "This Side" was the first I bought. I liked it enough to then buy the original "Nickel Creek", which I like even more. From what I've read, "This Side" is very much a "crossover" effort. It scares me that they may very well abandon their bluegrass roots, which would be a shame. I promise to give Alison Krauss a serious listen if you will reciprocate and try The Ahn Trio (Kenji Bunch's "Slow Dance" and "Swing Shift") and The Be Good Tanyas ("Keep It Light Enough To Travel"). OK?

This thread has been very enlightening. I'm always happy to be aimed in new and different musical directions. By the same token, I hope I can do the same for other poor souls afflicted with this high end curse (but what a "fun" curse it is, eh?).

Jim
Jim,
Indeed it's fun and you have a deal sir! Also take a quick peek at who produced your Nickel Creek discs.
Three of my highest recommendations:

Vivaldi, La Stravaganza (12 violin concertos) Rachel Podger
Arte Dei Suonatori Baroque Orchestra
Channel Classics CCS 19598

Beethoven, Violin Concerto, Mela Tenenbaum
Czech Philharmonic
Essay CD1076

Tchaikovsky-Glazunov Violin Concertos Maxim Vengerov
Violin Concerto in D major-Violin Concerto in A minor
Berliner Philharmonker
Teldec D112008

Charlie
FYI, Vedric, Ms. Hahn herself has recorded a pretty creditable Beethoven. I can't say it's the "right" one, but then I don't think there's any such thing. And, no offense man, but who in hell has bad experiences with XRCDs???
Bomarc,
I own two XRCD's. The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over which is mostly fantastic sounding and a reference for redbook. It has some pronounced vocal sibilance but overall its a great disc.

My other XRCD is terrible. Dire Straits - Brother in Arms. It's thin with excessive treble. My Warner remaster of the same album is better in all respects.

The XRCD of Beethoven: Violin Concerto / Heifetz, Munch may indeed be great. My hesitation is because of the Dire Straits disc and the fact its only the 38 minute concerto. Other releases from DG and RCA have more to offer. However if its superior just let me know! As I mentioned sound quality is very important.