Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique; recommendations....

Can someone please recommend a particular recording/CD? There are sooo many CD's to choose from and I dont want to buy a lemon. Thanks in advance.
dolphin
I have many versions on CD (7) and have heard many more. The best place to start is the Davis/Phillips 50 Greatest which was with Concertgebouw Orch., long standing for many years as one of best performances this version is special remaster that improves sound noticeably.........but for some unknown reason is now hard to find and they are back to selling standard Davis/Phillips version. I got mine 1-2 yrs ago, don't fall for all the hype about the new Davis LSO live CD, it is nowhere near as good.

NCARV........Many will not even try the Dutoit/London version, but that would be a big mistake since this is easily one of the best versions available, and has the best sound quality of any version I have heard! The performance is suprisingly robust and energetic when called for, great choice that is often overlooked.

For budget price the new Talmi/Naxos is very good although not one of the top three choices it is better than many of the big name versions and has very good sound.

Two used versions are worth seeking at Amazon since they are currently out of catalog:
Paray/Mercury
Markevitch/DG Originals
Both are excellent performances with lots of atmosphere and excitement, the problem is both are brightly lit recordings especially the Paray.....but still should be owned because the performances stand the test of time.
I would have to highly recommend Charles Munch - Boston Symphony Jvc Xrcd (JMCXR-0001) rendition of Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique. This would be my first choice in a cd purchase. Enclused below are a few review links
of this cd.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/music/0302/symphonie.htm

http://www.audaud.com/audaud/NOV01/xrcds/xrcdsNOV01.html
To the gentlemen who have recommended the XRCD of Symphonie Fantastique, have you compared them to other pressings? I ask because while I am a fan of XRCD's, I find that many people hype them based on the fact that they are XRCD's...........not based on the performances themselves.
For a very recent and interesting performance try Minkowski. I heard it & was very impressed (don't remember the particulars, sorry).
Otherwise, Sir T Beecham/ French Radio Tel. Orch is legendary (EMI, 1957/8) and P. Monteux/Paris S O from the '30s (Music & Arts) is extraordinarily powerful. As you can expect, the sound on the '30s version, is nothing to write home about -- but bearable nonetheless.
I have not heard the Munch XRCD but do own the Munch/RCA Cd and think the sound may be a litlle above average but nothing spectacular.....especially when compared to a newer top recording like Dutoit/London.

I am really not all that impressed with the Munch/RCA performance either but keep it around because so many professional reviewers seem to like it.