What are you all doing to modify your cds?

I have tried pledge,cd rings and a green marker.Is there anything else that I am not aware of? Also who if anyone is still using the rings as they are hard to find?
ghost_rider
Sean, I am in full agreement with your thesis regarding the need to eliminate, to the extent possible, any and all error and that not doing so adds a measure of uncertainty, at the least. I am just not sure that all error is audible and that the 1998 article proves error. Wonder if any products have come online in the last 5 years that would change the author's mind?...

Ed, do you swipe those CD's to the pant leg even after your multi-tasked procedure. You see, though, Ed? The CD and LP have one more commonality. Typical cleaning approach! :-)
4yanx: My thoughts on the article that i referenced are that they demonstrate that using some type of a "CD mat" is a negative, which the "DED" device demonstrated due to the need for added error correction. That is all that i wanted to show, nothing more. I could have just referenced that part of the article, but thought it would be better if everyone could read the entire article for themselves and form their own opinions.

Many of my other comments are based on the results obtained from personal testing that i've done. Based on these experiments, i know that some disc "treatments" ( creams, polishes, sprays, etc... ) can increase readability and aid in data retrieval. I also know that "truing" a CD by beveling or trimming the edge also increases readability and aids in data retrieval. Both of these effects can be demonstrated and measured electrically. Discs that were not readable prior to either of these treatments are now able to be fully read or at least read to a much greater extent.

As far as markering the edges of CD's, we've been through that before. I've found nothing but poorer performance with a reduction in disc readability on discs that were markered. As such, using a marker by itself will typically increase the amount of error correction required and reduce the speed that the disc can be read at, taking the system a step further into "signal corruption". Using a markered disc with a CD mat is kind of a double whammy, taking you two steps backward with even more error correction required and possibly making marginal ( heavily scratched ) discs unreadable on some machines. Why use either method when they have both been shown to reduce readability and add the potential for further data / signal corruption ?

My only guess is that audio is no different than any other aspect of life. That is, "folklore" is passed on from person to person, with some folks acting on that information, even if it is known to be false. As such, i was trying to "dispell" some things that may have been recommended here, but obviously, it is up to the individual to do and believe as they like. I guess we'll just sum it up by saying "different strokes for different folks". I'll do my thing and they can do theirs : ) Sean
>

Sean, with all due respect, I have to question the audible effects of error correction. If the percentage of error correction must increase in correlation to using either the edge marker or CD mat, why do they sound better using either of these methods?

And Sean, I am not speaking solely based on my own personal listening experiences. I am also considering other individuals who in some cases have absolutely no knowledge of the equipment being used. These individuals have enough auditory intelligence to accurately discern what actually sounds more "pleasing" to the ear. In most cases the term they have used is "better".

You are fully aware of the process I use for these CD mods. In addition to that I use a Marigo disc. Consistently, the Marigo tightens the bass, opens up the sound stage and adds an overall "natural sounding" effect. Once again, that is not just MY opinion. Now keep in mind, the Marigo is being used in conjunction with a "greened" disc. We won't even go into what this exact process does for DVDs.

I can totally understand error correction both in theory and in application. My questions being, am I hearing it? And if I am hearing it, would it's results be considered detrimental to the sound of what I am hearing? And, in order to provide me with an unbiased response, you must be willing to disregard what "test equipment" is telling you. Because I'm sure that you don't listen to your music through test equipment. Right?

Also, I cannot recall a single incident where "trackability" had been decreased, by displaying an increased level of "drop outs", "skipping", or decreased search/reading ability after doing these mods. Are we both doing something differently?

Sean, please don't misinterpret this as a "challenge of the minds". That is not the case. I am simply respectfully requesting substantiation of your "listening" results vs. printed "test equipment" results.

Because quite frankly, test equipment data reports become totally irrelevant. Our ears are by far the most accurate and verifiable "test equipment" available to us. And the nice part is that they are already calibrated for our own personal usage.

In closing, It IS about the music, isn't it?

Buscis: As i've said before, people should use and do what they think sounds best and gives them the most listening pleasure. I still think that.

As far as markering, etc... sounding "better", i can't agree with that let alone test it out. When i have tried to test it out using discs of marginal playability, what was a "questionable" disc is now an unplayable disc. Obviously, the non-markered disc that plays with some distortion sounds a LOT better than the disc that has been markered and completely drops out or won't play at all. Given that the quality of playback is very definitely reduced on a "scrap" disc, why would i want to "sacrifice" a disc that i value and plays fine ?

Other than that, i'll shut up and you folks can discuss what you think works best. As mentioned, i was simply trying to provide an alternative point of view that offered a scientific evaluation of various tweaks along with my personal "hands on" experience. I'm sorry if what i had to say doesn't agree with what some of you like / believe, but if we all agreed on everything, we would never learn anything from these discussions. Sean
>
whew..I still stand behing rubbing them against my shirt. Cleans them just fine. I try to wear soft shirts.