I don't understand Miles Davis' "Kind of Blue"

I'm new to Jazz. While I enjoy Amstrong and Fitzgerald duo and some of Amstrong's Hot Five and Hot Seven pieces, I fail to appreciate "Kind of Blue" which is praised by many as cornerstone CD in jazz. What I hear from the CD is background music that is repetitous throughout the song and seemingly random saxo, or similar instrument - pardon my ignorance of instruments, in the front. The background music bothers me because it's simple and repetitive. Perhaps this is not my type of music. Or should I listen to other CDs before appreciate this one?

Can someone educate me what is great about this CD?
jlc993nc9cf
Please understand that I am not trying to be a wiseguy nor do I seek to belittle you. I play jazz (badly) and have been listening for over 30 years.

To cut to the chase, I would recommend that you take a Jazz History or Jazz Appreciation class at your local college. You MAY not like KOB because you don't undertand what Miles is saying. Alternatively, Miles may rub you the wrong way. Or modal improvisation may drive you crazy.You need to geet in an environment where you can hear the development of imrovisational music (jazz) and benefit from another person's knowledge and experience.

Also, do yourself the favor of a lifetime and go to live jazz so you can see the artists play. Ask questions of the person next to you during the break in the performance. No question is too dumb-even "What is that instrument he is playing?" Knowing the instruments goes a long way towards greater enjoyment.

Finally, be patient with yourself. The joy of this endeavor is that you will learn forever. No one knows everything.
I'm sensing you've not experienced Jazz live. To truly appreciate this style of music, you need to find a performer doing it live. Terrance Blanchard, Dave Douglas, somebody who is influenced by the Miles Davis school of music.
It was not only recorded in one take (all but one song which took two) I am almost certain none of the musicians had ever played the music before. I do not care about this either but FYI.

I like Kind of Blue because it almost has a melody or something that is 'catchy' that a novice like me can grasp and at the same time I find it melodic and ever changing.

A far cry from the 'squaking' I hear in some jazz.
YOu really need to come to the Monterey Jazz Festival. It takes place around the 20th or so of Sept for Fri, Sat, and Sun.

KF
I love the music of Miles Davis and I love this recording. That doesn't mean you have to. Some things hit me all at once. Some things take time to appreciate. For what ever reason some things never take hold. To each his own.