Opinions on deHavilland Mercury 2

I've been looking for a tube preamp and this one is on my short list. Is there anyone out there who listened to it and can describe the sound ? TIA.
128x128audiogabby
Sheffb, I just sold the Pass Labs X-1 to raise cash to buy the Mercury. I think the circuit is very similar or identical to the 2.5. That is one of the main reasons I thought it would improve my system given your experience with it. Also Dick Osher's review of the UltraVerve was sensational and presumably the Mercury would be better. The person referenced stated he tried in in three different system without sucess. It would seem perfect for my Art Audio PX-25.
Slingshot. I have the UltraVerve and it is great with my Carissa. Keep us posted on the Mercury and the PX-25.

Cheers
I was the one who tried it, and have stated again and again, i think it might have been a mismatch with my Berning ZH270 amp. Based on how well the thing was put together, and how good Kara and company are, I am not in the least bit suprised (and am generally very glad to hear) that it works very well in others' systems!
Hi Artg,
Sorry for the delay, I having been around this site for awhile. I auditioned the Mercury 2 for a couple of weeks and sent it back due to a mismatch with my power amp.

The Mercury left a big impression on me. The soundstage is huge and the midrange incredibly extended. Their lower frequencies are not as good as the highs or midrange though.

After that i tried the Eastern Electric MM for 30 days and kept it. The EE is a very nice unit that really sings at that price range.