McIntosh C-2200 or C-46 with MC-402???

Okay, a question for McIntosh users (or those familiar with the gear) out there -- need some advice and input!

You're setting up an MC-402 in your system and feeling awfully good about life. Now, you decide to chuck your other (very nice) preamps and put together a matching set. Why not, right?

The obvious choices are the 2200 tubed preamp and the 46 solid state preamp.

I've heard all these pieces, but have not been able to audition them as above (switching preamps, that is).

I generally like the "euphonic" quality of tubes, but always notice the trade-off in fine detail when you move back to solid state. Apples, oranges. I'm wondering if the 2200 is one of those rare pieces that gives you tube joy without the losses? How about matching up to the amp? Big money, big decision, so I'd appreciate your answers!
highdudgeon
The combination of C2200 (tubes rolled to Mullards) and MC402 (now replaced with MC501 monoblocs) provides exactly the combination of warmth and detail that I've been looking for. This is an example of Mcintosh synergy that makes music happen--in my room, for my ears. Good luck to you!
Joe
im running the c2200 with a pair of mc 252's & im completely happy with the system.

my c2200 replaced a c38 which was an awesome preamp & at first i found the c2200 to be lacking in not only depth but the tone controls seemed weak too,after close to a year with the c2200 & the 252's the c2200 has smoothed out & really opened up,even the tone controls seem to have more depth,for me the c2200 is perfect.

i would think the mc402 c2200 combo is a perfect match just give your stock tubes a good long burn in before you buy big $$$ tubes from anybodys "private stock".

mike.
I have read these responses and wow do I ever get a different reaction. I own both the c2200 and the c46, I also have the 252 and the 2751v. I totally enjoy them all,veiled is not a word I would use to describe the c46,but we all hear what we hear. 1st off I have found with Mac gear if you use balanced interconnects the "life" just goes out of the music. To me without question single ended sounds much better....and I am using cheap interconnects.

Yes the c2200 gives you the "tube" thing and does it very nicely. I also find the C46 to be very musical and involving. Lately I have been using the c46 with the 252 and the c2200 with the 275...all with great results.

I can honestly say I like both sets eqaully and yes they do different things. Sometimes I feel like the tube thing, othertimes I feel like listening to the SS thing.

Ultimately you need to hear both in your home ( I know maybe tough to do) but all I can say is just last night I was listening to the c46/252 and when I was done I just stood back and said....man that sounds good.
Great comments -- I really appreciate it.

The other contenders that come to mind (used) would be a Mac C-100 or an ARC Ref II Mk II (or LS25). I understand the C-200 is basically the same thing.

Any comments on these, or comparisons to the above?

The thing is, I'm not a tweaker. I had one system for years and years, and now I'm looking to "finalize" another system that I'll have while my hairline does some serious receding.
i demo'ed the c100 in my home & i hated every single thing about it,call me old fashioned but to me tone controls are a must,in my rig the c100 sounded allmost "tinny",if your local mac dealer is any good he shouldnt have a problem arringing for a few in home demo's of the current preamps.