Bi-amping with "split mono-blocks"?

Has anyone ever used a pair of stereo tube amps to bi-amp speakers in a configuration such that each speaker has it's own stereo amp driving both the upper and lower blocks?

I think this would have the effect of separating the channels effectively as if using monoblocks and also allowing a bi-amp configuration to the speaker.

FWIW, I'm running a Premier 11A into VR4JRs and I've have a desire to try bi-amping but I also want to try monoblocks. I thought that if I bought another Premier 11A instead of trading up to the Premier 12, I could have benefits of both biamping and monoblocks. The combined power of two Premier 11As would be about the same as a Premier 12. Also I'm thinking I could use KT90s on the bass path to get the extra I want there and use 6550s on the uppers to retain the sparkle that the KT90s seem to lack.

Any thoughts?
mcmiller
Big benefit to biamping; I've doubled everything, the speakers (Eminent Technology LFT8A's), the interconnects, speaker cables, amps...so it totals now 8 amps (using multichannel amps) driving the four Eminents. In order to accomplish it, had to get a preamp with dual main outs, then split those four outs! Rogue Magnum 66 has internally switchable tape out as second main. Works well.

Fabulous sound! Far, far outperforms the basic one speaker, one amp setup. Has put me into a different universe of sound.
If you don't stick with the same family of amps, you'll get into the never ending game of exchanging them, similar to interconnects. It'll just introduce another variable to drive you crazy.

You do have to pay attention to gain; one of my multichannels I use is 165/ch, the other 200/ch. The gain difference is noticeable, but I was able to combine them in such a way that it works incredibly well (used the 165/ch on bass, and supplemented with twin Vandersteen subs; much improved sound putting more watts to the panel speakers). But if you don't have matching amps, you could be asking for complications.

Since I've tried bi-amping, I know I'll never go back to anything else. If you have very inefficient speakers, the change will be night and day if you bi-amp. More control, headroom and ease with which the music is delivered.

Everything got much better.
Thank you all for the encouragement. It looks like a second Premier 11A is on the shopping list now. And thanks for the terminology help. I wasn't aware of the term "vertical bi-amping".